cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G activation delayed

Anonymous
Not applicable

Signed up for 4G tarrif this morning and as of now am awating for it to be activated . My order status is still showing as "In Progress".

Call O2 after 30 minutes some one picks up and tell me that it will be upto 24 hours before 4G is activated. This must be a joke right ???

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

It wont make a difference when its about the network settings.

I would phone 02 on 202 just to double check your account and the 4G service has been provisioned correctly.

Message 11 of 26

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I can only think this is down to the firmware upgrade mentioned previously. If no one else chips in then maybe try contacting Samsung directly for information as to the specifics of the awaited 'patch'?

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/erms1?modelCode=GT-I9505ZWABTU&modelName=GT-I9505

Message 12 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can confirm that on my Htc one it was working within 5 minutes of changing the tariff and in the settings I have an option for gsm/LTE which I think is what is what I think is missing from your s4 due to this patch they are talking about although o2 list the s4 as 4g ready which in my opinion is wrong if its not slight_frown

Message 13 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

You need your phone to receive an update to get the 4G enabled. From what you describe, your Android firmware does NOT have 4G capability enabled.
My S4 mini (O2-supplied) received an update this morning and now I've got the 2G/3G/4G option right there in that menu (but no 4G tarriff yet to try it out as I don't live in any of the 4G cities).
So yes, you need to wait for the software update. This is not dependent on O2 but on Samsung releasing it for your phone (as it's not supplied by O2). You can always root the phone and install a custom firmware yourself of course, if you're into this kind of stuff.

Message 14 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there, there is another way to actually use the 4g service even without samsung updating. To do so download Batter monitor widget from 3c on the google play store. once you done that go into the app click test (bottom right corner) then device setting, go down to find  set preferred network type. this will give you a list. select LTE/GSM/CDMA auto this with switch all antennas on letting you receive 4G HSPA+ 3g ect if your in range. i have tried it out myself and it works. i guess you can use this temporary. Hope you be happy with the 4g service 

Message 15 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just a little heads up OP.

If you have not rooted a phone before then please do some homework on the subject matter, as not could cause issues.

For the sake of getting what you want I would either wait for the official patch ,or check with Samsung.

Who knows it may be there waiting for you to download.
Message 16 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi - just thought I'd let you know incase anyone else is having the same issue.

After speaking lots with o2, who couldn't get to the bottom of things, I spoke with Samsung support in the UK who were very helpful.

They checked lots of things out, and although the phone is 4g ready, it needs enabling.

They spoke directly with o2 in the UK, obviously they have different contact details to 202.

Samsung came back to me just now stating that on Tuesday 3rd September, an OTA software update will be pushed to any Galaxy S4 with an o2 4g sim in it.  Samsung said whilst they were finding out this information, that more and more people were calling them with the same issue as I was having.

So, if I'm to believe everything I've been told, on Tuesday I should have 4g.

Once that has happened in Network Mode, LTE will display to enable you to use an LTE network if you choose.

Hope this is helpful

Alan

Message 17 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there alan, there is another way to actually use the 4g service even without samsung updating. To do so download Batter monitor widget from 3c on the google play store. once you done that go into the app click test (bottom right corner) then device setting, go down to find set preferred network type. this will give you a list. select LTE/GSM/CDMA auto this with switch all antennas on letting you receive 4G HSPA+ 3g ect if your in range. i have tried it out myself and it works. i guess you can use this temporary. Hope you be happy with the 4g service
Message 18 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Viet. This work around is very usefully. Shame that O2 or Samsung couldnt advise us that Sim Free S4 need a software upgarde for 4G to work.

Message 19 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just changed to a 4g Tariff today, I also noticed no 4g LTE on my rooted S4, after googling around found this trick...

If your rooted use an app called root explorer, navigate to Data/Property and find the file called "persist.radio.lteon" , open this file with text editor and change the value from false to true, save file and reboot. You'll now see the 4g/lte option

I've tested and works a treat
Message 20 of 26