Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

Re: 4G Phone promise

Miss Cahill,

Thank you for your reply. Smiley Happy

Yes thats a different circumstance that you mention, but after letting you buy out of your contract (which every mobile company will allow, (even with the 10% and the 20% vat cost) then you have to buy yet another phone or pay yet another high contract for yet another 2 years, meaning for at least another 3 years you will have essentially the same phone you have bought today.

Many people like upgrading to newer handsets after a year let alone 3 years and an upgrade from an iphone 5 to an iphone 5 with 4g capability isnt really an upgrade.

Also a non 4g iphone on o2 will loose its value much quicker than a working 4g handset (would you buy one in a years time if someone said "Oh its the one that doesnt work with 4g"). I think you'll find that not just o2 recycle but every other recycling company will offer less buy back prices for one of those.

This is precisely the reason o2 are offering the phone promise, as they are well aware of this fact and don't want customers to leave them.

I just think o2 are being quite unfair if you compare them to orange or tmobile... You buy an iphone from them for almost the same deal(except orange give more data) keep that for 2 years using from Christmas their 4g services then they can upgrade to a brand new iphone 6...

Where as o2 customers are stuck with an iphone 5 for an extra year.

Still you make some valid points, and I guess its all about what the customer wants... in my case, I like to upgrade my phones yearly or at the worst every 2 years. I imagine a lot of iphone 5 customers will be thinking along those lines in a couple of years from now with another year to go on their contracts.

Anonymous

Oh dear, O2 can't please everyone I suppose.... Even when they are giving discounts! Smiley Sad

You are absolutely right that every mobile company will allow you to buy out of your contract/pay your cancellation fee to end your term early so you can go elsewhere - O2 are just adding a little incentive to customers who want to stay with the network and are happy enough with 3G for the time being until 4G comes to O2 which will hopefully be by the end of 2013.

When you say you have to buy yet another phone or pay yet another high contract for yet another 2 years - wouldn't this be the same with any network (not just O2) for the new iPhone?

A lot of customers would prefer to stay with O2 for the time being for various reasons, for example to avoid any 'teething problems' that customers who leave to go to Orange or T-mobile or 3 may experience with 4G, as it is something completely new. This is something that even the iPhone's aren't exempt from ... e.g signal issue with the design of the 4, Apple maps on the new iPhone 5..... e.t.c

At the end of the day, neither of us can predict the future about what the recycle prices will be, or in fact whether the iPhone 5 will eventually work on the 4G O2 is looking to get (please see Pablo's reply on page 1 of this post) in a years time, and thus, this is why we can just merely speculate at the moment.

If customers want to stay with O2, they will stay.. if they want to leave they will leave - That's life as they say!

Good luck whatever you decide to do Smiley Happy

Anonymous

Hi everyone, 

Smiley Mad

My head has been melting over this whole situation. I have waited since last year for this phone and now its here I am sick of hearing about it!  The time has come to make a really hard decision (for me anyhow), weather to go orange or stay 02... I have been with 02 since I was 14 and for some reason feel like I would be cheating on them if I left for orange. But there really isn't any incentive to stay with them anymore. I think that offer isn't really up to much as it all seems to be based around if's and butts. If I buy one now I get the early upgrade option to a phone that should work on 4g standard anyhow. This is of course if apple make one to suit 02, AND this isn't really an upgrade as it should have been available from the start. Plus the re sale value of a not compatible 4g iphone 5 would be terrible compared to the others. Thus raising the costs of a buy out. Also they say 4g wont be available to the end of next year so is there any point in this whole post?... You see around where we live we don't even get full 3g coverage so we would probably be last to see any 4g, same with orange for that matter. But the coverage from orange around my area will significantly improve faster than what o2 will according to there site and my mate has just popped up with his orange iphone 5 and 3g nearly everywhere, obviously I cant compare as I don't have one on 02 or know anyone who does. But I can't remember mine being that good when I had it.

OR I could just forget about the whole thing and get a lumia which covers most, if not all of the 4g frequencies, which will leave me a bit of leeway and not make me loose sleep!lol What would you do? Jump ship or stick with the captain and his crew???

I am losing my mrablse with tihs oen  Smiley Sad

Any input would be really appreciated 

Anonymous

Surely if you buy from an APPLE STORE your new i phone 5 this will be compatable with the new 4 g network when it arrives with 02 and you can chose a cheaper contract with 02 without these restrictions rather than tie yourself up with endless 24 month contracts?
Anonymous

I looked into that aswell but it would work out cheaper buying one on contract than a sim free one and getting a cheaper contract. Having said that this was before i found out all this other info about them and the 4g set up and all the other charges I would now face.. So am I right in thinking a sim free iphone from apple will be ready for the right frequency for 4g for when o2 or whoever get round to sorting it?

Topics: 574
Solutions: 16,209

No it won't. Blame Apple for this (don't ask me why, but) they have decided that the 5 will only run 4g on EE's frequencies, so when 4g becomes mainstream there will have to be a different iphone (or a software upgrade) for the "regular" 4G as used all over Europe currently......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)
Anonymous

Thanks for clearing a few things up