Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's
Anonymous
Accepted Solution

4G Phone promise

Hi guys!

I've seen the bit that says 4G phone promise on here http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/iphone-5

And was wondering does anyone understand it or am I being thick? Lol

Topics: 25
Kudos: 275
Solutions: 39

Re: 4G Phone promise

That looks a bit misleading to be on the iPhone page - take a read of the superb sticky at the top of this board marked "What is 2G, 3G & 4G". I presume that when o2 launch their 4G then you will be able to upgrade to a suitable 4G phone that can work on the o2 network. Currently the iPhone 5 will not work on the o2 network under 4G but the next iteration may have that capability so technically it is correct providing iphone X has the capability or indeed any other 4G phone o2 offer in the future.
Anonymous

Sheepdog is spot on with this.

If you upgrade to an iPhone 5 between launch day and the 31st of March 2013 you are able to take advantage of the 4G phone promise.

It means that O2 will allow you to buy out of your contract to upgrade to a 4G phone on O2 if hopefully O2 get 4G which should be by the end of next year.

The buyout fee will be the line rental for the remaining months left on your contract, minus 10% from O2, and then minus the VAT.

Topics: 580
Solutions: 4,306

Glad to see that O2 are abiding by the abolition of the VAT for services not rendered.

Anonymous

Maybe I'm being thick here too, but I don't get it either.

O2 are saying that if you buy an iPhone 5 between this coming Friday and the 1st of March 2013, you can pay the remainder of your contract minus 10% just so that you can upgrade to a 4G phone, which you already have. ...and the point is?

The way I see it, as 4G becomes available your phone (if LTE enabled) will just start using it. It shouldn't require a different contract, it is just the new standard of the phone network. The change over for people with LTE phones should be seemless.

Anonymous

O2's 4G network will be using a different frequency, that is not supported by the iPhone 5

This is why they are offering this option
Topics: 48
Kudos: 593
Solutions: 48

Thanks sheepdog

Thread is here for you (Hope this helps)

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/What-is-2G-3G-and-4G/td-p/286204

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Anonymous
Anonymous

To clarify:

As things currently stand the iPhone 5 won't be able to use O2's 4G services.  This is because it only works on 3 frequencies (800Mhz, 1800Mhz, 2100Mhz).  Think remote control cars back in the day that would only operate on certain frequencies).  

O2 are currently waiting for an auction of 4G Spectrum (frequencies) next year.  The two to be released are 850Mhz and 2600Mhz.  So if O2/Vodafone/Three buy up any of this spectrum, then they will be able to bring out 4G services but the iPhone 5 won't work on it.

However that is just as things stand at the moment.  No-one knows if an iPhone 5 software/firmware update will make it be able to work on other frequencies.  We also don't know what O2 plan to do.  At the moment they own a sizeable 2100Mhz chunk, which the iPhone 5 does work on.  But they're currently using it for 3G services.  One possible answer is to switch 3G over to one of the frequencies they buy and then launch 4G on the 2100Mhz frequency.  

One other possibility is a release of an iPhone 5S next year which will work on different frequencies.  In this event, O2 will let you upgrade to it at a discount (10% and no VAT payment) in terms of buying out your existing contract.

Anonymous

From the 2G, 3G, and 4G explained post, O2 also have 1800Mhz frequency space which is used for 2G. Why don't O2 simply use that for 4G as 2G pretty much should be redundant now, and it is supported by an new 4G phone that they are quite happy to sell on their network, advertising it's 4G features even though they know it cannot be used on the network and potentially never be used.

If O2 don't plan on using 1800Mhz or 2100Mhz for 4G, they really should make it much clearer to potential buyers that the phone will never work on 4G on the O2 network. It's not pointed out at all, which is mis-selling.