cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G Joke

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why do 02 send me a text saying I am now on the 4G network when they know my phone (iPhone 5) is not compatable?

They know this already - as when I type my telephone number into the 4G-ready checker on the website it tells me I do not have the right phone.

Couldn't they screen out these numbers before sending the text?

Oh, I'm sorry, am I expecting intelligence here? Actually yes.

Yet another reason for the switch of provider come January.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's an automatic message I believe that's mass sent out.
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Poor o2. No matter what it tries to do someone somewhere is unhappy.

We have been asking o2 to provide more information on 4g rollouts for ages. More recently they have started sending out texts based on postcode when 4g is coming and the Coverage Checker also gives the next 3 months works if it is coming.

You may have an iPhone 5, but for am o2 know you may have another handset that they don't know about.
You may be thinking of upgrading and 4g availability might help you decide. Knowledge is king.

O2 are trying to be helpful. Credit where it is due they are listening. Cut them some slack.
Message 3 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes I agree. It's good info to have for upgrade time slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 5

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

There seems to be a prevalance of mass projectile SMS sent out based on Cell locations rather than handsets. Even if your current handset isn't capable in your area, it is still possible with one that is (or very soon from the time of the text).

I know there is other 4G coverage available from other companies however as I'm still in contract with O2 my hands are tied.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 5 of 5