Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G Coverage becoming real slow

Chris_S
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello, I was not sure where to post this so sorry if it is in the wrong section but for a while now the O2 4G internet is getting slower at my work to the point of it being super slow/unusable, it was not always this way so can someone please inform them that the area might be faulty or need looking into as im not sure who to contact about this?

I am on contract with 20GB data which I never even get half way through and my phone is a Oneplus 5 128GB 8GB and has had no issues with 4G elsewhere and normally has real good speeds at home on LTE or Wi-Fi so the issue is the area where I work, coverage seems good and status is fine but here is some pictures of the speed tests I have taken at work over a period of a month to show it degrading:

Screenshot_20180518-222254.jpg

Screenshot_20180518-222317.jpg

Screenshot_20180518-222324.jpg

The area effected is Stoke Green, Slough, SL2 4HR 

https://goo.gl/maps/ZvUQ6XVtsyF2

Many thanks

It looks like you landed on a popular topic that many are viewing!

Why not register to our community to be able to ask related questions if you need additional help, and interact with other members?

See also here some information on how to get started with the community and what other great things you could do here as a member. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Hi @Chris_S the best way to report it is yourself through the MyNetwork app https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/my-network

You can report it daily and get any other o2 users to do the same. 

This will get the area flagged to the network team for investigation. 

Congestion is the most probable cause so hopefully the area can be upgraded to help. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
Well if in a busy area it will be congestion I.e. too many users at the same time etc

O2 has just got the 2300 MHz band for much greater capacity and are rolling it out
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 18

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Hi @Chris_S the best way to report it is yourself through the MyNetwork app https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/my-network

You can report it daily and get any other o2 users to do the same. 

This will get the area flagged to the network team for investigation. 

Congestion is the most probable cause so hopefully the area can be upgraded to help. 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 18

Chris_S
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hello and thanks to both of you for the reply's and I will look into that app so thank you. Its unlikely congestion as the area is very quiet and only a few manor houses but im not ruling it out.

I just believe it to be something more significant because of the sudden loss in speed as its been good for ages so something has happened/changed in the last few months.

Many thanks
Message 4 of 18

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

You are not alone in noticing this, @Chris_S@, same at my work (BT48) over the last 18months or so. 

I do use the O2 My Network app on my phone to test and report it periodically, screenshot of the app below. 

The funny thing is download speeds drop appallingly at around 3pm most weekdays now, but upload speeds are still pretty good.🙄

Time was the O2 4G network was much better than using local WiFi in the office, but now, well 🤬

Screenshot_20180520-164301_01.jpg

Screenshot_20170725-223223_01.png

Message 5 of 18

Chris_S
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Yes your right, I chose O2 purely for good reliable speed and for the most part it has been good, I used to get 30-40mb down and 30mb up easy at my work area but after the last few months its dropped and dropped, I mean look at the latest picture... 0.8Mb... 4G... Really!

It cant get any worse so at least theres that.

Cheers
Message 6 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris_S

@pgn

The other thing to be a aware of course is tree foliage in summer as leaves do absorb signal which will lead to an increase in error rate and reduction in speed.

This is something that is beyond O2's control but is worth reporting as it might prompt O2 to send out it's engineers to carry out a 'drive test' which is where they drive around the area with kit that attempts calls and measures the connection quality.

Upload channels are used far less so download speed will suffer long before upload does.

Message 7 of 18

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35208 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Thanks, @Anonymous - but this was noticeable even in the depths of winter...  I shall take a few measurements this week as time avails, and send in a couple of reports via the My Network app. 

I have noticed the app does not always successfully send reports in, sometimes you need to open it when there's a good signal and get it to report in.

Message 8 of 18

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

I have noticed the app does not always successfully send reports in, sometimes you need to open it when there's a good signal and get it to report in.

Catch 22 then.....

Message 9 of 18

Chris_S
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for everyones reply's and sorry to hear others are having similar issues, its very annoying especially as i'm paying for 4G and not getting usable speeds when the area apparently has good coverage. 

I ran the app outside where connection is strongest and reported the issue, see pic's below:

Screenshot_20180521-111620.jpg

Screenshot_20180521-111953.jpg

I think given the speeds have deteriorated even more its safe to say its highly unlikely its congestion or the leaves, my money's on some sort of fault. No speed should drop from 30-35mb to under 1mb due to those issues so it has to be something more serious.

If I dont hear back from the report or notice no change after a while what is my next steps because I don't think you can report it here so is it worth ringing them?

Many thanks everyone.

Message 10 of 18