cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G Coverage in my area is basically non-existent

Anonymous
Not applicable

So checking the coverage map, my entire town should have good 3G signal both indoors and outdoors. This is not the case.

My house is about 5 minutes walk from the town centre and I can only get 3G in one room. If I walk 100 yards down the street I get GPRS. As for the town centre itself, there's about two places where 3G coverage is available.

I just spoke to a Guru and they said the 3G network in my area is fine. So it begs the question, where the hell is the supposed coverage? Is there anything I can do to get it improved in the area?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Until O2 upgrade the network in your area there is little you can do unfortunately. Are you tied into a contract?

Message 2 of 10

Markojemo
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 52 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I'd call CS and ask to speak with network services to report the issue. I'm going through something similar myself at the min, network services have confirmed it's an issue with a mast.
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm afraid the coverage checker is a figment of the imagination. In my opinion it is downright fraudulent of o2 to rely on it.

In my travels I have found over 100 places where the checker gives a full 5 bars of 3g bit actually there is NO 3g at all.

Fraudulent I say.
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Remember the coverage checkers are computer predictions, not actual coverage information.

Message 5 of 10

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
As above, none of the coverage checkers that I've used have ever given a true and accurate picture.!

Charlie.
Message 6 of 10

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

We had a poster from Hull this morning who is now picking up 4G and the coverage checker and status page still showing as only 3G so the checkers are fairly useless.

Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
My area is supposed to be totally 3G but it's very patchy as to where you can receive it so I wouldn't rely on what these computer predictions are
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here, we are getting some sort of 4G service now, computer says no!

Message 9 of 10

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

A friend of mine has one of the new O2 dongles and lives in a 2G area which is all he can pick up on the iphone 5S. However on the dongle he can receive 4G from 7 miles away....

Capture.JPG

Message 10 of 10