Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Anonymous

£30 pre pay taken from my account!

hi all!
i appear to be another victim who has had an unauthorised payment taken from my account. (£30.00 pre-pay for a 02 phone)
i apprechiate it is no fault of 02,i have cancelled my card but am baffled as to how someone got my details as i'd like to think i'm careful.
any views anyone??
is it likely they got the details online or more likely a clone of my card from a cash machine?
any info would be welcomed! Smiley Surprised)
im most worried they have my name/address too.
thanks!
Topics: 550
Solutions: 3,445

Has your card been fraudulently used to purchase anything else or just to top up a P&G phone on o2?
Anonymous

hi steve,
one payment was put in for some strange reason for £1.00 and then taken out again this was to a nature reserve in norwich?
i googled them and called them,the bloke said they'd had several people that day call to ask why they had popped up on their bank statements.
im assuming the fraudsters do this to check the card is working before taking bigger amounts out.
im just curious to know if anyone had any ideas on how these details were used so i can try and prevent it happening again.
the previous card is cancelled now,i do have identity protection cover,no one has tried (as yet) to take out anything in my name,my main concern was that they may have my name and address details to,as i was told to purchase talk time you hae to give your name and address too??

Hi Claire,
As you rightly say, the 'test' for £1 is just that, to make sure the card is active.
Your details can only have been obtained from something that you have purchased previously as to top up a o2 mobile, you have to have the numbers from your post code and also the house number and the security code on the reverse of the card. So these details can be obtained from online purchasing where you have to give all this information as security or by cloning the card from ATM use or from retailers such as a petrol station etc. Card cloning usually leads to large overseas fraud so I would tend to disregard that if there has been no such attempt on your card.

It will be very worrying but as long as you have ID insurance and your card has been stopped you should be ok. The only precautions you can take involve never letting the card out of your sight in places such as restaurants and petrol stations, and always use secure sites when making online purchases. The problem is no matter how careful you are, there are dishonest people always looking for opportunities and your details can be sold on. It's just one of the many problems of today's high-tech enviroment we live in. I tend to think if your card has been used to top up a phone, then its unlikely that the fraudsters will attempt to use your ID details for anything more elaborate than that so try not to worry too much. I work in a bank and seen many instances of credit card fraud and in my experience, a transaction such as this very rarely leads to any other type of fraud.

I always wonder why a company, where a fraudulent purchase such as air-time can be linked to a specific mobile number, don't appear to take any further action. At the very least they should bar the phone from their network. Possibly they do that and I suppose if the phone is not registered then they can't trace the individual responsible. But they do need to show more concern insteaad of just referring you to your card provider.

Try not to worry too much Claire,
best wishes
Anonymous

thanks very much for the reply and reassurance steve! Smiley Very Happy
when i spoke to the chap at the nature reserve place he said that the fraud was linked to thailand? :robotindifferent:
this confused me as if so why did they buy phone time in the uk????
(unless they have people working here passing our details to family/friends over there?)
either way luckily i check my bank statements online very often so it was only used and taken out today and yesterday evening.
i dread to think what may have happened if id not realised,i get paid tomorrow aswell!! Smiley Surprised
the only thing ive done differently is i used a cash machine at the top of my street two days ago,i always check if they look okay,i very very rarely use outdoor ones,in case they have been tampered with,also i purchased something off a website,it was secure and encrypted but the item i ordered was out of stock so i called to cancel the order,the same company sent me an e.mail asking for my comments on my shopping experience so i replied that i was abit miffed they had the product advertised as in stock when in fact it wasnt,(its still classed as in stock still now!!!! :womanindifferent: )
:robotindifferent: i got a pretty stroppy reply to my e.mail,i guess they don't like negative comments!
maybe silly but could a worker of a company like that give the details out if i annoyed her????

im just so annoyed that ive been a "victim" of something like this!
im so careful and feel pretty stupid that its happened! :robotsurprised:

Don't feel stupid, there are dishonest employees in many large companies and it's just human nature I'm afraid. There are hundreds affected by fraud on a daily basis and my wife has been a victim in the not too distant past. It's just something we have to put behind us and 'move on'.
It may be worth getting a copy of your credit file just to make sure everything is as it should be. You do what you can by checking your bank statements as often as you can if you have online banking. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't. If you have cards that you don't use or have no need for, I would recommend that you close them down and cut them up. There's not a lot else that you can do unfortunately. But as I say, try not to worry too much as you spotted the fraud in good time Smiley Happy
Topics: 247
Solutions: 1,614

There is no need to feel stupid as this is not your fault and you have done nothing wrong.

Some 12 years ago I had a card taken for £3900.00; fortunately I was with a good company, they re-issued my card and refunded the money all within 7 days.

I have never had any contact from them regarding this matter to this day, and so still do not know how it was done.

It makes you angry and stressed though but there are some cold-hearted thieves out there.

Good luck.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Anonymous

thanks steve and perksie! Smiley Very Happy

i have 2 policys that cover me for fraud/theft.
one is to cover me for anyone trying to take my identity,the other for lost and stolen cards.
i am so careful which is why this has annoyed/upset me so much! Smiley Mad
i also have a credit report policy where i can check my reports and all is safe! Smiley Wink

thanks again!

i'll be checking my accounts even more in the future!