Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 weeks in usa

PlainJayne87
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi I am seeing things online about some change that happened this year that affects using your phone abroad. In August I go to the USA for 3 weeks, I have a cheap monthly contract and understand it would be a bolt on for 6.99 a day 😩😲. I have heard about esim but not sure my samsung galaxy a52 is compatible also I have seen you can buy pay as you go sums for usa on amazon, but again I don't know if my phone is unlocked and if these will work.

Can anyone give me advice please TY

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23157 Posts
  • 1027 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

@PlainJayne87 The Samsung A52 is not compatible with esim. 

O2's data speeds are capped when roaming in the US, which makes it pitifully slow. They appear to have increased it from 0.5Mbps to 2Mbps, but you'll be lucky if you can check your email at those speeds :

O2 | Mobile Terms and Conditions - O2 Travel Terms and Conditions

If you are going to need data, get a local sim from AT&T or T-Mobile. O2 hasn't locked their phones for five years.

There's plenty of WiFi everywhere. If you have WhatsApp you can call, text, and video call anyone anywhere in the world for free over a WiFi connection if they also have the app.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144677 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27732 Solutions

@PlainJayne87 

Guide here USA - Roaming with O2 

Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 4

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23157 Posts
  • 1027 Topics
  • 3685 Solutions

@PlainJayne87 The Samsung A52 is not compatible with esim. 

O2's data speeds are capped when roaming in the US, which makes it pitifully slow. They appear to have increased it from 0.5Mbps to 2Mbps, but you'll be lucky if you can check your email at those speeds :

O2 | Mobile Terms and Conditions - O2 Travel Terms and Conditions

If you are going to need data, get a local sim from AT&T or T-Mobile. O2 hasn't locked their phones for five years.

There's plenty of WiFi everywhere. If you have WhatsApp you can call, text, and video call anyone anywhere in the world for free over a WiFi connection if they also have the app.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 4

PlainJayne87
  • 3 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you so much for that useful information I really appreciate it. I will look into sims then and how I go about getting one and using it.

Message 4 of 4