cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

29p for a smiley ? I'd rather frown

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same subject again, charges outside normal allowance.

When I queried charges for messages I had not sent using the online chat facility with an 02 advisor, was told that if a smiley is sent it's classed as MMS message and costs 29p !

My hairdresser has a contract Blackberry with 02 ( she pays more monthly than what I do ) and she never gets charged outside her allowance for anything.

Anyone else had this problem?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No, I think they were pulling your leg slight_smile slight_smile slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Pulling my leg on 02 chat ?

You got to be joking, why would they do that, the advisor seemed genuine enough but I didn't think he was leg pulling, pffft.

I haven't sent any since, I'd rather frown.

Message 3 of 16

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If you send a smiley in a text (SMS) message it is just letters " : - ) " It is the phones display that converts them to pictures. You DO NOT get charged for sending a smiley. CS have been known to be wrong.... Occasionally, you know wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

MI5 is right.

Message 5 of 16

Pickles
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 564 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

I have to say the subject of this keeps making me giggle.  Not because of the message content, but just the title made me laugh.  Think its the "I'd rather frown" Smiley LOL

Anyway back to topic, no I think think they got it wrong.  You won't pay any extra for smileys.  I send them all the time and never had to pay.  slight_smile

Samsung S8
Message 6 of 16

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Just throwing this into the conversation!

On the iphone, writing a text with the normal character number showing, if you enter a smiley using the Emoji keyboard it automatically knocks the character number down from 160 to 70 so instead of using say 25/160 it then shows 26/70 used.

How does that equate?

Message 7 of 16

Pickles
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 564 Posts
  • 10 Topics
  • 17 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Just throwing this into the conversation!

On the iphone, writing a text with the normal character number showing, if you enter a smiley using the Emoji keyboard it automatically knocks the character number down from 160 to 70 so instead of using say 25/160 it then shows 26/70 used.

How does that equate?

It's a good point.  I was thinking that maybe the smileys use up more spaces and you go over your character count for one message.  My character count doesn't show, so couldn't test it hehe slight_smile

Samsung S8
Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've sent smilies in texts either by entering : ) or by using the Emoji keyboard and I've never been charged. I think you've got a less than knowledable chat agent.

If you go into Settings, scroll to Messages, touch this, scroll down and where it says "show subject field". If this is on, it is possible to enter text etc in the Messages app where it shows Subject. If you do this, the message will be sent as a MMS message instead of the standard SMS text message, if it gets sent has a MMS message, it can incur a charge if you do not have MMS messages on a bolt on. This is perhaps what's happened in your case?

I always have the Show Subject Field switched off has I don't send any MMS messages

Message 9 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. I've had the same problem. I used emoticons for the first time with my iphone4 - my trusty old Nokia N73 didn't have them. Got my first bill this morning, which showed £2.92 for media messages. I knew I'd only sent one picture, but the rest of the cost was for emoticons in messages, so I've de-selected the Emoji keyboard. Apparently the phone does convert the SMS into an MMS. O2 have waived the charges on this occasion. I won't be using emoticons again, not a 35p a throw !!

Message 10 of 16