cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

15years with O2 & no more 12 months contracts available?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been with O2 for the past 15 years and upgraded every year, why O2 does not longer offer 12 months upgrades?

I have been trying to upgrade to the latest Galaxy S4 but it is not possible on a 12 months contract, why? Surely, like most of the mobile operators which offer 12 months contract O2 should also have this option for customers like myself keen to upgrade more often.

Furthermore O2 appears to be the most expensive provider this time round, is this my only understanding? Vodafone direct offers the Galaxy S4 on a 12 months contract (£39pm and £179 for the handset) as well as phones4u (£39pm and £159 for the handset) with up to £100 cashback from Quidco...even O2 resellers do that but twice as much (£38pm and £305 for the handset)...slight_smile

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not really as I am not keen to pay much more than with other operators as well as having a 24 months commitment, if I should go that route I could buy the handset on pay as you go and then get a sim only 12 month contract with more mins/data.. and cheaper too.

Every time ring CS I get different and contradictory information:

- during pre-order 2 weeks ago I was told the handset is not out as yet so we cannot offer 12 months contract however we will once the handset will released...

- you are not entitled yet for an upgrade (1 week left on the existing contract...:() however ring us back and we shall offer a 12 months contract and match other operators...

- spoke with retention and the system was down however I was assured that the handset was available on a 12 months contract and I was asked to call back her extension as she could not look into my account...could not reach her back and the new CS advisor said no 12 months contracts on the S4

- I rang CS once I was eligible for an upgrade and was told that O2 does not offer 12 months contract...nor will match other operators..

I guess after 15 years it is probably time to move.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Perhaps an O2 Refresh contract would help?

http://www.o2.co.uk/refresh

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

The majority have switched to 18 or 24 months now which I agree is a long time and I wouldn't enter into one

Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was going to say the same as perksie - it sounds like Refresh is just for you. You can have a new handset whenever you pay off your old one, the only commitment you are making is the line rental slight_smile

And the more you pay up front for the phone - the cheaper it is for you.

Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not really as I am not keen to pay much more than with other operators as well as having a 24 months commitment, if I should go that route I could buy the handset on pay as you go and then get a sim only 12 month contract with more mins/data.. and cheaper too.

Every time ring CS I get different and contradictory information:

- during pre-order 2 weeks ago I was told the handset is not out as yet so we cannot offer 12 months contract however we will once the handset will released...

- you are not entitled yet for an upgrade (1 week left on the existing contract...:() however ring us back and we shall offer a 12 months contract and match other operators...

- spoke with retention and the system was down however I was assured that the handset was available on a 12 months contract and I was asked to call back her extension as she could not look into my account...could not reach her back and the new CS advisor said no 12 months contracts on the S4

- I rang CS once I was eligible for an upgrade and was told that O2 does not offer 12 months contract...nor will match other operators..

I guess after 15 years it is probably time to move.

Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

PS: How come O2 resellers offer 12 months contracts and O2 Direct don't?

Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not even 18 months are available directly from O2..
Message 7 of 9

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

They only offer sim only for shorter terms, they have been doing this for ages now.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, last year I upgraded to Galaxy S3 upon launch on a 12 months contract...

It is like I want to spend $$$ but O2 doesn't want to sell:(

I found a good deal with Vodafone £39pm £59 for GS4 on a 12 months contract..will wait another couple of days to see if O2 will wake up, if not...PAC time

Message 9 of 9