Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Pay Monthly

Highlighted
Anonymous

£1 Data charge daily

Why do I keep being charged £1 data allowance charge when I've been using my home Wifi. I'm on Pay as you go and eating into my credit

Highlighted
Topics: 247
Solutions: 1,614

Re: £1 Data charge daily

Something on your phone is connecting to the GSM network and needs to be turned off, or the wi-fi is going into sleep mode returning it to GSM.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Highlighted
Topics: 574
Solutions: 3,896

Highlighted
Level 6: Acolyte

What type of phone do you have? Maybe we could help turn off Mobile Data?

I'm a Telefónica UK (O2) employee but post in a personal capacity. As such, views are my own and not those of the company.
Highlighted
Anonymous

I've been having that problem. If yours is an iPhone, go to Settings > General > Network and disable Cellular Data. If not, look for a similar option on your phone that basically turns off data browsing on 3G. I have no idea why that even happens but it's annoying as hell and an utter waste of money.
Highlighted

I agree it is a waste of money, but by no means is it a network issue as the network provider does not design the phone.

So if there is ever any glitches, the customer relies on the manufacturer bringing out updates to stop this happening.

I'm a Telefónica UK (O2) employee but post in a personal capacity. As such, views are my own and not those of the company.
Highlighted
Topics: 554
Solutions: 13,952

Quite often, when the screen is locked and the phone goes to sleep, the wifi will turn off automatically to save power. This means that data will kick in and you will get charged if you do not have a data plan with your account. It's not wise to have any type of smartphone without data but if you have, make sure that you check in wifi settings that sleep policy is set to "Never" and also disable mobile data, again in settings.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)
Highlighted
Anonymous

turn off mobile data & disable location settings on any apps that you dont use very much that ask for location

Highlighted
Topics: 574
Solutions: 3,896

Location services should use wifi if mobile data is disabled. Disabling location services would however prolong battery life.

Highlighted

Just to clarify, a little off topic. WIFI saves battery life. 3G makes the battery go down faster.