cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£1,200 additional bill, Charges whilst abroad !

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi There,

I lost my phone in Spain at the weekend and someone has kindly made 53 phone calls in 2.5 hours raking up a whopping £1,200 additional phone charge for international calls. Now obviously this was not me and I have since reported this with O2.

Has anyone else had issues like this and what were O2's response ? I've spoken to several people already and they have all said different things so I don't know what to beleive ........

Thanks,

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If you reported it within 24 hours your liability is limited to £100.00
If not, legally you are liable for the full amount, unfortunately.
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Lost-or-Stolen-O2-Device-How-to-Report-it/...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 8

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I lost my phone in Spain at the weekend and someone has kindly made 53 phone calls in 2.5 hours

Let me guess........Russia or Morocco.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks !

I reported it within 24 hours of knowing it was lost, however the additional charges were done in the early hours of the morning, so O2 are currently saying that I am fully liable
Message 4 of 8

MI5
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The law is quite clear on this.
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/safety-and-security/lost-...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122362 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
The law is quite clear on this.
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/safety-and-security/lost-...

Thanks for that link @MI5. Handy to know for future reference....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 8

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
Except it’s not a law but a voluntary agreement made by the big 5 at the time

“Under the voluntary agreement, five mobile networks – EE, O2, Three, Virgin Media and Vodafone – will protect around 27 million consumers on pay monthly contracts from being hit with shock bills through no fault of their own. They will all offer consumers a liability cap set at £100 when reported within 24 hours of being lost or stolen to the mobile network and police.”

So this is where I think the issue lies did you report the loss / theft to Guardia Civil within 24hrs? And have you provided o2 with the crime reference?
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 7 of 8

MercedesS
Former Staff
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Hello @Anonymous,

We are really sorry to read that your phone has been stolen. 

If you have contacted O2 already, we can confirm that your complaint has been raised. Once you do so, the O2 adviser sent off the form for it to be dealt with by the correct department so it can take around 3 days for the customer complaint to be acknowledged, and therefore, confirmed. 

Hopefully, all will be fine.  Please let us know if there’s anything else we can do for you Wave

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 8 of 8