Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

02 data very slow

Broughy23
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I've just signed up to o2 on a pay monthly plan and I'm getting very poor data speeds. I've tried resetting the network, turning the phone on and off, airplane mode on and off etc but nothing is working. When I check the speeds I'm getting 0.5 mbps to 1.2mbps. Is there any fix for this? Or will I just have to cancel my contract and move to a different provider? After midnight my speeds go up to around 15 which is very usable but I'm going to bed at that point. I understand that this is because less people will be using the service but if I'm paying £60 a month I'd like to be able to use my phone during the day. Any help or advice would be much appreciated
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Cancel while you can

get some free pay and go sims to check other networks before committing to another contract

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know it's not a great solution but you could try setting the phone to 3G when speeds are very slow, you might get a faster connection. 

Message 2 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92910 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Cancel while you can

get some free pay and go sims to check other networks before committing to another contract

Message 3 of 7

Broughy23
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Cheers I will look into doing that tomorrow. I must just live in a bad area for o2 because I tried a 3 sim in it and it worked fine
Message 4 of 7

Dale2868
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O2 are now awlful, iPhone 13 pro max that I have had to disable most of the features, delete photos and music to try and address the issue. I have been complaining months about this.  I can wait 130 seconds for a page to load, if it actually loads.  Most if time apps stall, internet  blue bar just stops.  Checking o2 status says mast has issues and bring fixed, this message has been displayed for months!!! I was told by the Maidstone o2 shop the ME6 mast is over subscribed and congested with traffic!!! But o2 say there’s nothing wrong, blamed handset, took it to Apple in Bluewater yesterday and guess what, phones ok but reports network errors! I need out of this contract on the grounds I’m paying good money for a bad service.  Definitely not better connected!

Message 5 of 7

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35209 Posts
  • 223 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

Download the O2 My Network app and log a test daily - O2 do prioritise based on feedback from the app, @Dale2868 - more info here: Guide: How can I sort out my network issues? 

Also some tips here on what factors in your house may be affecting your phone's data connection: Guide: Do you have poor coverage / signal Indoors? This may help Explain / resolve it 

Other advice above this answer also applicable. Good luck!

Message 6 of 7

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

@Dale2868 

To get out the of the contract you will need to pay in full the device plan and then you can cancel, and move to another network. 
Avoid Voda as they probably use the same mast that is down, and to be fair the shop staff wont know anymore than customer services, they will be just talking any old rubbish to get you out of the shop..  And that is one hell of an area to be covered by just one mast... In fact there are quite a few... 

madasaf1sh_0-1650747517692.png

There is a large part of that area that has no / fringe o2 coverage as the masts dont relay the radiowaves out to some of it.

Is this internal or outdoor you are having problems? 

A mast can take months to fix, with parts availability, your local council or the land owner giving permission to o2 to access it / dig things up.... 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 7 of 7