cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

02 Making me pay for PAC code

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been with 02 for over 5 years. I lost my phone that was nearing the end of its contract in about August. So i went and bought a pay as you go phone in may to tide me over in the meantime until i renewed my contract. I got a new phone, Xperia Z2 with a new 2 year contract from 02, and haven't used the pay as you go phone since.

My girlfriend wants the phone to use, and i said i'd give her it. 02 are telling me i have to pay £15 for the PAC code in order to unlock the phone for her.

This is a joke. Years of loyalty and they're trying to sting me for an easy £15.

It's a disgrace.

Message 1 of 22
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144225 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27636 Solutions
Put your contract sim in it and unlock it for free http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-ca...
PS, it's not a PAC that you need, it's an unlocking code.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

MI5
  • 144225 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27636 Solutions
Put your contract sim in it and unlock it for free http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-ca...
PS, it's not a PAC that you need, it's an unlocking code.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
The payg Phone will have had to have been used for 12 months before they'll unlock it.

Http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/unlocking-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-network

I'm told O2 know what type of account the phone was so,d on via its imei so wouldn't unlock by inserting a contract SIM card in it. This is from an O2 employee who posts here.
Message 3 of 22

jonsie
  • 93192 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 4 of 22

MI5
  • 144225 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27636 Solutions
If they see the phone being used on a contract they will unlock it.
The rule applied to phones used on a PAYG basis only.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
If they see the phone being used on a contract they will unlock it.
The rule applied to phones used on a PAYG basis only.

Message 8 in this thread from @Anonymous

Unlocking query

Message 6 of 22

MI5
  • 144225 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27636 Solutions
I'm aware of what was said.
I am also aware of my own experiences.
Do you have any first hand knowledge?

Currently using:
Message 7 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice one!

Message 8 of 22

MI5
  • 144225 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27636 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Nice one!

Just make sure you use the phone for a couple of days to latch it onto the system.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 22

jonsie
  • 93192 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

The phone will be unlockedwith a contract sim. I did the same thing with a Nokia only 6 months ago. 

Message 10 of 22