cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WE ARE O2 AND WE LOVE TO RIP OFF OUR CUSTOMERS

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, my name is o2 and this is the story of a customer who has been with us for over 10 years.

The customer is currently on a 600min/300 o2 to o2 deal with unlimited text and 1gb of data.

The customer was approaching their allocated data allowance so we kindly sent them a text message warning them.

what we didn’t tell the customer was that they had nearly used all their allocated minutes allowance. the customer went on unknowingly and racked up £100 worth of calls in the last 7 days of the monthly tariff.

We are not compassionate, we don’t care and the customer had to pay us.

we have no plans to introduce this text message service to other customers because we want everyone to make this mistake after all, if a customer goes over their data, we don’t get as much money than if they go over their monthly call allowance.

Lots of love

Money grabbing corporate crap

Message 1 of 32
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

I've seen it many times, someone gets a contract phone with a finite amount of minutes, runs out of minutes and then racks up a massive bill. As others have said there are many, many mechanisms in place for a customer to check on their allowances throughout the billing month so there really isn't much of an excuse.

Some networks can place a credit limit on the account which can limit the out of bundle usage. I don't think O2 offer this though. Tesco (who use O2's network) and 3 do I believe. Can't speak for EE, Vodafone or any other virtual.

Most O2 tariffs (and most tariffs from all other networks) offer either unlimited minutes or as close to unlimited as makes no difference (for normal users) these days so you may want to look at one of them when your contract runs out to avoid this issue in the future

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

There are numerous ways to check your remaining minutes allowance. So easy to blame the company who think anyone adult enough to understand a contract should be responsible enough to check their usage. To go so far over your allowance is no one else's fault I'm afraid.

Message 2 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 take the stance that customers as adults should take responsibility of their own usage, but still give plenty of ways to monitor it.

Check their allowance by sending a blank text to 21202
Use the Myo2 app

£100 in charges is nearly another 300 minutes on top of your allowance, did you not wonder if you had approached your limit using the phone so much?
Message 3 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

My name is bandofbrothers

I'm an O2 customer who checks his my02 app and myo2 online to keep a check on the minutes and texts I have remaining.

I do this because I'm responsible for looking after what I use and don't want to be charged any further charges for exhausting my allowances.
Message 4 of 32

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 5 of 32

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi Ripped_off,

Sorry to hear you're not happy. I'm Toby, the community coordinator and will happily talk through any frustrations you have. Feel free to send me a message slight_smile
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 6 of 32

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

As the OP has been a customer for ten years, I would have thought that was ample time to learn of all the ways to check how much you're using. Not only are there lots of ways, they're all pretty simple. The only one responsible here is the OP.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 32

izzy831
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 24 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Speaking from the perspective of a 20 yr customer of o2 and as a new i-phone user the first thing I did was download the O2 app which shows you how much data usage is used. I would suggest 2 things here:

Either you need to change your tarrif.

You need to wake up and smell the coffee. As a long time O2 customer you KNOW how this works so why the 'woe is me' tone? Unless you fell asleep whilst talking to someone and racked up ridiculous minutes then you have only yourself to blame.

You don't visit a cannibals house and not expect to be on the menu.

Be safe, Be Happy, Izzy xxx

You don't visit a cannibals' house and not expect to be on the menu
Message 8 of 32

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

I've seen it many times, someone gets a contract phone with a finite amount of minutes, runs out of minutes and then racks up a massive bill. As others have said there are many, many mechanisms in place for a customer to check on their allowances throughout the billing month so there really isn't much of an excuse.

Some networks can place a credit limit on the account which can limit the out of bundle usage. I don't think O2 offer this though. Tesco (who use O2's network) and 3 do I believe. Can't speak for EE, Vodafone or any other virtual.

Most O2 tariffs (and most tariffs from all other networks) offer either unlimited minutes or as close to unlimited as makes no difference (for normal users) these days so you may want to look at one of them when your contract runs out to avoid this issue in the future

Message 9 of 32

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

I'm perplexed as to how someone with 20 years experience of using a mobile phone has not yet got to grips with the varied methods of checking usage during the billing cycle, by text, MYO2 online or using an app, or even just the call log on the phone. To exceed your allowance by an hour or less is unfortunate but by about 5 hours is just carelessness.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 10 of 32