cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voicemail and pin being reset by system

Anonymous
Not applicable
Over the last couple of years, I randomly discover that my outgoing message and pin have been reset to default and I have to do it all again. Is there some O2 policy causing this to happen? Found other questions like this - but with no proper answer. Yes, I know how to record and set a pin. I test it every time - then months later I discover it has been reset. I'm using a Blackberry 9630, but that shouldn't make the slightest difference ( anyway this happened with the previous phone also). I do go abroad a lot - this shouldn't make any difference, but maybe it does. I'd appreciate help from anyone who might know what goes on, it is getting to the 'rather annoying' stage.
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I go abroad frequently as well, and I find the same as you. It's possible that the system resets to default if you turn your voicemail off before you go abroad, and then turn it back on when you return. I don't use my O2 sim when I'm abroad. I use a local sim, so maybe that's why it goes to default for me. It might or might not be the same for you. This is probably not the reply you're looking for, so it might be an idea to call Customer Services on 202 from your mobile and ask.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22941 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I go abroad frequently as well, and I find the same as you. It's possible that the system resets to default if you turn your voicemail off before you go abroad, and then turn it back on when you return. I don't use my O2 sim when I'm abroad. I use a local sim, so maybe that's why it goes to default for me. It might or might not be the same for you. This is probably not the reply you're looking for, so it might be an idea to call Customer Services on 202 from your mobile and ask.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I don't turn off my messaging service - I use it while abroad to filter out marketing calls - and to hopefully get messages from people I really want to hear from. If it resets to defult automatically, then those genuine callers are not sure it is my phone - I'd be quite annoyed about that, and desirous of finding a way to stop it. I've tried Customer Sevices but they always seem to be "having an unusually high number of calls" just when I call.

Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't understand why this post is flagged as solved? It clearly isn't? 

I too get this problem however I'm afraid the prognosis is not good!

I've had the problem occuring for several years across at least 3 phones and at lease as many sims. I think it is a problem with O2's voicemail system and nothing to do with the phones or sim. I currently use a dual-sim Samsung Galaxy, so my O2 sim is always installed and I never turn off voicemail myself, but the pin still seems to get reset periodically, (and I think at least once the whole voicemail was turned off too). 

It's a particularly inconvenient problem while I'm abroad as the pin reset mechanim does not seem to recognise it's my phone requesting the reset, and it refuses to reset the pin until I return to the UK. (seems something to do with the security checking process I think?)- Hence I don't receive voicemail until I'm back home again, although people can still leave messages for me. 

Have spent many hours on support chat, but the only constructive advice I got out of it was to 'reset the pin when your back in the UK and well see if it works ok next time" - obviously it never does!.

I too find it convenient to filter calls when roaming so only I answer ones I recognise, and let everyone else leave messages for a call-back (- people are a lot more brief in on phone messages than conversations!)

Although the only really permanent solution I can foresee, is to switch over to a different network and see if their voicemail works consistently abroad!

Message 4 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143411 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'll just add a link back to your other post for future reference https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Voicemail-Pin-resets-itself-disabling-my-voicem...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 6

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I never experience it purely because my voicemail is always set to off. I go abroad so frequently I never want it on.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 6