cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading while on debt plan

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello will you allow me to upgrade even though I am on a debt repayment plan registered in court and listed on my credit file reason I ask is my phone died I looked at the website but you say I have to take the phone on credit agreement so doesn't that mean you will credit check me again. I have always paid my o2 bills on time it's only my loan and credit card that I was struggling with and the debt advisor said a protected debt plan was the best way to go.
Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You are not talking to o2 here @Anonymous but I can tell you that you won't get credit checked again if you upgrade, so you will be fine.
It's only new contracts that are credit checked.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You are not talking to o2 here @Anonymous but I can tell you that you won't get credit checked again if you upgrade, so you will be fine.
It's only new contracts that are credit checked.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 5

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Hey, I don't think O2 would credit check again but you wont know until you try. They wont cancel your existing contract so you could always get a cheap phone for now and save. Also, assuming your existing min term is finished, you could move to a sim only plan and save each month.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 3 of 5

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Curr946 wrote:
Hey, I don't think O2 would credit check again but you wont know until you try. 

They won't, as I said above.....

Currently using:
Message 4 of 5

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

Just worth also considering that if the arrangement you are in is formally recognised as an "insolvency event" then you may also have an obligation to notify O2 (or other providers of credit) before obtaining credit above a certain amount, typically £500.

Not saying that this does apply, or that it would make any difference to your ability to upgrade, just another consideration. slight_smile 

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 5 of 5