cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from a 12 month Sim Only

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

I want to ask how o2 upgrades work, because everytime you ask someone at o2 you get different answers.  I took out a 12 Month Sim Only deal, to which I am happy with just now.  I asked what happens when I upgrade from my sim only, do I get credit checked again if I go for a full device and airtime contract or do they base the decision on your payment history with them? I am asking because I would like to upgrade to the new iphone that will come out this year. Thank you

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144353 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
It's always straightforward until it gets confusing wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

All I will say is... before I answered I looked at 3 other posts asking the same question on here.

They all said the same and had been given  solutions. I didn't think there was any doubt...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 28

MI5
  • 144353 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
There's no doubt at all.
If you have a simo for longer than 3 months and pay your bills on time you can upgrade without a credit check.
Simples slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 13 of 28

jonsie
  • 93235 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

All I will say is... before I answered I looked at 3 other posts asking the same question on here.

They all said the same and had been given  solutions. I didn't think there was any doubt...

There's always the 'different' scenario but on here we can only go off people's experience and advice given by O2 staff. What you posted was correct from what we understood but presumably there are exceptions to every normal rule we have been told. Today, a different staff member and a different way of looking at this particular issue of credit checks...

Message 14 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Exactly as I thought.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

There's always the 'different' scenario but on here we can only go off people's experience and advice given by O2 staff. What you posted was correct from what we understood but presumably there are exceptions to every normal rule we have been told. Today, a different staff member and a different way of looking at this particular issue of credit checks...

And that's what makes the answer confusing for the poster. Is there any need for it? Not in my opinion.

But hey.......

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 28

MI5
  • 144353 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
It's the poor addition of a post just for the sake of it again.
Not uncommon unfortunately.

Currently using:
Message 17 of 28

jonsie
  • 93235 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

The ultimate answer that we always give is that as long as there have been no defaults on the sim only then you can upgrade after 3 months without a credit check. No need for muddy waters by stating this, that and the other. As @MI5 says, simple really. Anyone who has defaulted on a sim only surely can't expect to upgrade without a credit check even though a check isn't needed. Hey, you default no upgrade!

Edit for spelling

Message 18 of 28

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

On here I'm just a customer the same as you guys wink

I guess mine was the "by the book" answer, rather than the generally accepted practice. But as was mentioned earlier, asses well and truly covered in the terms, just in case somewhere down the line a customer comes back and comments on this thread that they've been declined for an upgrade because of a credit check, it can happen although as rightly said wouldn't usually be an issue as a check would only be carried out in accordance with the terms when it's deemed necessary. slight_smile

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 19 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

In conclusion (from me) I am gonna stick with the answer I gave in the first place..which is the generally accepted practice..... wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 28