cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading from a 12 month Sim Only

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

I want to ask how o2 upgrades work, because everytime you ask someone at o2 you get different answers.  I took out a 12 Month Sim Only deal, to which I am happy with just now.  I asked what happens when I upgrade from my sim only, do I get credit checked again if I go for a full device and airtime contract or do they base the decision on your payment history with them? I am asking because I would like to upgrade to the new iphone that will come out this year. Thank you

Message 1 of 28
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122813 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

For a straight upgrade it is unlikely that you will get credit checked. Normally it's only for new contracts.
They will look at your past history with O2 but if it is fine I wouldn't expect a problem

I only had one credit check and that was when I took out my original contract @Anonymous

I paid on time and never missed one payment. I have never been credit checked again. I am on a 12 month sim only now and could upgrade if I chose to

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

Cleoriff
  • 122813 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

For a straight upgrade it is unlikely that you will get credit checked. Normally it's only for new contracts.
They will look at your past history with O2 but if it is fine I wouldn't expect a problem

I only had one credit check and that was when I took out my original contract @Anonymous

I paid on time and never missed one payment. I have never been credit checked again. I am on a 12 month sim only now and could upgrade if I chose to

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 28

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

No credit checks for upgrades at all even if going from simo to full contract.
This has been confirmed previously by o2 on here.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 28

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

*Depending on O2 account conduct. Whilst a new credit check isn't conducted routinely, it could be/will be where the conduct of the account warrants it.

Whilst not directly relevant to the original question, it's worth also mentioning that to be eligible to upgrade a SIMO deal there needs to be 3 months of positive account history, with payments being made in full and on time. 

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 4 of 28

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@Wa10 wrote:

*Depending on O2 account conduct. Whilst a new credit check isn't conducted routinely, it could be/will be where the conduct of the account warrants it.

Of course but that isn't a "credit check".

O2 and other customers have previously confirmed that no credit check (search of credit databases) will be conducted for upgrades. 

Obviously though if you have outstanding bills or poor payment history, this will be flagged on the account and could be a reason for refusal.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 28

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

As I said, a new credit check isn't routinely carried out, but on occasion it may be necessary. Particularly with upgrades from SIMO to Refresh, where the conduct of the SIMO account suggests it is necessary. It's covered in the "Definition of Eligible Customers" in the Upgrade from SIMO to Refresh T&C's which state that being an eligible customer is subject to credit status, eligibility and Refresh terms.

Not sure how being an eligible customer can be subject to eligibility though, haha. 

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 6 of 28

jonsie
  • 93181 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122813 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Just looking at the OPs opening post "Every time I speak to someone at O2 I get a different answer". I thought (when I replied) oh well it's straightforward........then I have just come back to the thread......Rolleys

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 28

jonsie
  • 93181 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Just looking at the OPs opening post "Every time I speak to someone at O2 I get a different answer". I thought (when I replied) oh well it's straightforward........then I have just come back to the thread......Rolleys

Hey c'mon @Cleoriff, this is O2 and as we know nothing is ever really straightforward .....

Message 9 of 28

Cleoriff
  • 122813 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

Hey c'mon @Cleoriff, this is O2 and as we know nothing is ever really straightforward .....

No..we are not O2. We are just customers @jonsie

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 28