cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd call

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had my phone stolen in Paris last week. Reported it immediately to O2, who barred it and sent me a new sim card to put in an old phone.

I (well my teenage daughter) set the 'lost iphone' thingy to call me if my phone was found by the Police to my mobile number ( I live in hope, although I know the chances are less than slim).

I had a call last night from what I thought was my friend Angela, please don't laugh, I didn't have my glasses on and answered it. Silence. I put the phone down and then noticed that it was from Algeria!

I'm now terrified that having answered the call, I'm going to be billed some enormous charge for a scam. It's bad enough being the victim of a pickpocket, without now having to worry about this. Can anyone reassure me or offer advice please?

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
You can't be charged for receiving a call but you can check in your MyO2 for any suspicious charges.
http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

You may need to contact customer service & speak to them. They may help but as you willingly answered the call, they may not 

Message 2 of 11

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Hopefully it was a scammer who wanted bank details and it wasn't a call charge scam. Keep your eye on charges in My O2 over the next few days. 

If no charges appear there is no need to contact customer service. 

Message 3 of 11

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
You can't be charged for receiving a call but you can check in your MyO2 for any suspicious charges.
http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 11

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous welcome to the forum! Please let us know how you get on?

Thanks @MI5, @jonsie, @Anonymous for your help!

Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all, will keep an eye out.

Hoping I won't need to contact O2, my experiences so far have been less than positive; my chats to report the theft were disconnected twice from France, so I ended up having to call my daughter in the Uk from hubby's phone and ask her to report it online for me. That still took the best part of 20 minutes.

Once back home, it took them an hour over Chat to confirm that they had barred the phone and to agree to send me a new SIM. My Boss wasn't exactly happy with me, I was at work at the time.

Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

The good news is that it appears there are no charges from answering the call.

The bad news; let's just put it this way. If you contact O2 chat and they agree to sort an issue for you, make sure you get an e:mailed transcript. That way, when they fail to do so and you are out of pocket, at least you have a record, so that you can start the conversation all over again.

Haviing worked in Customer Services all my adult life, I have to say, they leave  a lot to be desired.

Message 7 of 11

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an update.

I now have to chat online to O2 on a weekly basis, in order that they promise to take action, and then fail to do so. Chat time seems to be about an hour each time.

People need to be aware that even AFTER a phone is reported stolen, O2 will also charge you roaming charges.

I have never experienced such a shockingly poor customer services department!!!! Nobody in my family will be renewing their contracts or ever dealing with O2 ever again.

Message 9 of 11

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
What is it you are asking o2 to do for you?
Sorry but I'm not sure what you are calling them for?

Currently using:
Message 10 of 11