cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 still charging for roaming?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all eu roaming my bill is at 96 pounds for international calls I have had my o2 number since mobiles were invented I have a question whose laws are. 02 abiding buy obviously as I see it not the eu it can only be there own I need and explanation we’re in the eu so calls within that framework should be the same how do I get charged more from phoning Scotland to spain than spain to Scotland am I naive but this is not how it should work I only had a problem like this one e before the kept overcharging me from calls from Norway even thou I had a bolt on I kept getting cut of because I refused to pay a grossly overpriced bill if this keeps up I am going to contact the omsbusman there is something just not right about this getting charged for international calls with in the eu I thought this was all over ombundman here I come I feel I have been lied to rant over paul 

[edited: new topic created]

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Good mornjng @Anonymous.

You are asking why your calls from Scotland to Spain are more expensive than calls from Spain to the UK. 

The new rules on roaming charges are only applicable when you are out of the UK. In Spain calling Scotland, for example. They do not apply when you are in Scotland calling Spain.

Full details on roaming charges here:

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-monthly/roaming-in-europe

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Good mornjng @Anonymous.

You are asking why your calls from Scotland to Spain are more expensive than calls from Spain to the UK. 

The new rules on roaming charges are only applicable when you are out of the UK. In Spain calling Scotland, for example. They do not apply when you are in Scotland calling Spain.

Full details on roaming charges here:

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-monthly/roaming-in-europe

Message 2 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

That’s correct @Glory1
A case of not understanding I fear!

Or maybe I’ve misunderstood as it’s already been explained on the thread?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 12

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
No @MI5 you have misunderstood nothing. It is already explained on the thread.

A case of not reading the thread before posting the query. I simply posted to reiterate, if you like, what the new rules are to 'sock it home'....😊

Message 4 of 12

MI5
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
Well done slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 12

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

O2 are applying the rules that all networks adhere to. All calls from the UK to overseas numbers are subject to international charges. No point in wasting your time by contacting any official body. 

Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok the eu rules stated the end oh high mobile bills Scotland is in the eu spain is in the eu why am I getting charged for international calls when I am inside the EUthis o2 holiday thing it not the way it’s ment to work or am I wrong again I have a big bill because I thought the law decreed in Brussels stated I could phone anywhere in the eu in my case spain and not get charged an international rate for it why am I getting charged international rates when I am phoning within the eu either it law or its not if it’s not the decree in Brussels means nothing I don’t think so some how Brussels is a bigger power than the mobile operators the good lady that changed the law about phoning in the eu what would she say about me getting charged for making calls in the EU then getting charged international rates it not for switching of and on like moods or whims why do get a text on my phone sating I can use my phone like I do at home only to get charged for international calls 

Message 7 of 12

MI5
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
As stated and I’ll say it again, the rules apply whilst roaming only.
If you have a uk contract you ain’t roaming when in Scotland.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 12

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

It works exactly the same for EU citizens too. If they make an international call in their own country they will pay their networks international rate but if they are roaming then the rules introduced on June 15th would apply to them.

Message 9 of 12

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I thought my explanation together with the appropriate link would answer the question raised. Clearly not.

Message 10 of 12