cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 rip off for service charges.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How can O2 justify charging me £27.58 for one call to book a holiday? The Cunard component is 3p per minute. I have sent in a complaint, rang, emailed but no joy whatsoever. I am now looking for another mobile provider.

Message 1 of 16
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

All prices here for future reference:

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/other-numbers-and-charges

service.PNG

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
I'm not sure there is a requirement to justify the charges.
As long as they are advertised they are meeting their obligations. It's up to the customer to choose whether to call the number or not.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Absolutely outrageous @Anonymous I notice you say you have complained. Have you used Resolver in the complaints link? https://www.resolver.co.uk/ We have heard people have had some good results using them

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you. I have sent in a complaint through Resolver.
Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
And it is up to the customer whether to stay with a provider who hides big charges in the small print.
Message 5 of 16

MI5
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
I don't disagree. I'm just stating that the charges are available if you care to look and you can base your decision to call on the charges advertised.
Just because you subsequently found out they were higher than you thought isn't a reason to complain or any guarantee that you will get refunded.
But by all means leave if you feel strongly enough but check the "small print" for any other mobile provider first.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
In more than 10 years with O2 I have not encountered such exorbitant charges. Call me naive, but when the company I was calling said it would charge 3p per minute I really didn't expect 55p per minute access charges from my provider. As you say it is my choice, but I do feel very strongly. If I don't get most of my money back then I'm leaving O2 and so is my wife. I don't care whether other providers make similar charges, I don't expect to be so royally ripped off by a company that I been a customer of for a very long time. Treat your customers like this and your customers leave!
Message 7 of 16

MI5
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

All prices here for future reference:

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/other-numbers-and-charges

service.PNG

Currently using:
Message 8 of 16

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3006 Solutions
Just so you have some ideas:

EE charge 50p per minute
Three is 45p per minute
Vodafone is 55p per minute

So good luck in finding a network that doesnt charge these exorbitant fee's that Ofcom introduced

http://ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/telephone/ukcalling may be of some use to you...

You wont get a refund from o2, as you accepted the T&C's 1. when making the call and 2. when signing the contract, just pay it and take it as lesson learnt.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 9 of 16

MI5
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
There are also free apps and websites that you can use to reverse look up chargeable 08 numbers such as https://www.saynoto0870.com/ so there is never any real need to call the rip off number.
Let's face it, if your tour operator cared about it's customers it would advertise a landline or an 03 number wouldn't it ?

Currently using:
Message 10 of 16