cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Travel Changes 7/4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I have been usng the free O2 Travel bolt on since 2016 as I travel to European countries quite often. I use it primarily to browse for when wifi is unattainable. I browse and I get charged £1.99 for the day. In terms of of making phone calls and text messages. If I text a UK number whilst in a European country I get charged 4p. So the overall current setup is:

"While travelling in Europe just pay a 50p connection charge to make and receive calls between European countries then talk for free for up to 60 mins. You'll pay just £1.99 for the days you use data in Europe & there’s no upper limit, but traffic management steps apply. £40 monthly spending limit for data outside Europe."

An email has been sent out from O2 stating changes to how O2 travel works. It now states that:

"From 7 th April 2016, we’ll be adding calls and texts sent back to the UK and within O2 Travel destinations, to the data you already get with our O2 Travel Bolt On. This will give you data, up to 120 minutes and 120 standard texts, per daily charge within selected destinations in Europe. With O2 Travel you’ll only be charged for the days that you use it."

My udnerstanding is that from 7/4 if I am in a European country and I text a UK number, rather than being charged 4p like I used to be, I will be charged £1.99.  Is this correct? I appreciate they are saying you can send up to 120 messages and still get charged £1.99 but I never send 120 messages. I usually send just a couple. By this logic, the £1.99  charged that was activated only when you used data, will now also be activated by sending a text message. If I send one text per day for 3 days I will end up paying £5.99? 

Can someone please verify tell me if I have misunderstood the change?

Thank you.

PS: I am not asking to be told about the different options to circumvent sending a text.. I just want to know that I have understood the changes correctly. slight_smile

Message 1 of 633
632 REPLIES 632

Anonymous
Not applicable

Which idiot in O2 came up with this money making scam and called it a benefit? My data roaming is always switched off when abroad due to high costs of usage. I send  may be 2 texts every other day and was happy to pay the additional 5p etc. I'm off to Spain next week and will use my O2 account until then. The week after I'm off to 'Three' who don't charge extras for use in the EU. Charges in the EU were suppose to be reduced, get ready for the exodus O2?

Message 81 of 633

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144341 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
I understand, but data isn't expensive (as you say) in the EU.
£1.99 a day gives you unlimited data.
Use Tugo over WiFi and you can still send and receive texts and calls for free.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 82 of 633

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

I agree with your comments about this rise in travel charges @Anonymous. I go to Spain frequently and this is so infuriating. Mind you I have downloaded TuiGo now so I can call and text over wifi with no cost.

Please look at the main O2 travel discussion thread http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/O2-Travel-Changes-7-4/m-p/953179#U953179

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 83 of 633

Anonymous
Not applicable

How can this be a benefit? I have never ever used £1.99 per day as never have roaming on. Am certainly not paying that rate for a few texts. Have opted out of 02 Travel, suggest we all do the same.

may well opt out of 02 in a couple of months.

lizzielou

@Anonymous wrote:
So all I want is to send a couple of texts during the day whilst away, use no data and you're going to charge me 1.99 for the privilege! I should only be charged for what I use not what you ASSUME I might use. How is this charge fair? Thought fees abroad were supposed to be fairer after the ombudsman investigation. It seems O2 you're determined to make you're losses back anyway you can. Might be time to consider dumping O2 travel or dumping O2 altogether!!!

Message 84 of 633

MI5
  • 144341 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions

@Martin-O2 can you merge this with the main thread too please.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 85 of 633

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Threads need merging..

Edited Snap ^^^^^^

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 86 of 633

MI5
  • 144341 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Martin is online so will hopefully get it done.

Currently using:
Message 87 of 633

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Martin-O2 can you merge this with the main thread too please.

@MI5 Done wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 88 of 633

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Posting purely to bring the thread title back...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 89 of 633

MI5
  • 144341 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Thanks mate

Currently using:
Message 90 of 633