cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Travel Changes 7/4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I have been usng the free O2 Travel bolt on since 2016 as I travel to European countries quite often. I use it primarily to browse for when wifi is unattainable. I browse and I get charged £1.99 for the day. In terms of of making phone calls and text messages. If I text a UK number whilst in a European country I get charged 4p. So the overall current setup is:

"While travelling in Europe just pay a 50p connection charge to make and receive calls between European countries then talk for free for up to 60 mins. You'll pay just £1.99 for the days you use data in Europe & there’s no upper limit, but traffic management steps apply. £40 monthly spending limit for data outside Europe."

An email has been sent out from O2 stating changes to how O2 travel works. It now states that:

"From 7 th April 2016, we’ll be adding calls and texts sent back to the UK and within O2 Travel destinations, to the data you already get with our O2 Travel Bolt On. This will give you data, up to 120 minutes and 120 standard texts, per daily charge within selected destinations in Europe. With O2 Travel you’ll only be charged for the days that you use it."

My udnerstanding is that from 7/4 if I am in a European country and I text a UK number, rather than being charged 4p like I used to be, I will be charged £1.99.  Is this correct? I appreciate they are saying you can send up to 120 messages and still get charged £1.99 but I never send 120 messages. I usually send just a couple. By this logic, the £1.99  charged that was activated only when you used data, will now also be activated by sending a text message. If I send one text per day for 3 days I will end up paying £5.99? 

Can someone please verify tell me if I have misunderstood the change?

Thank you.

PS: I am not asking to be told about the different options to circumvent sending a text.. I just want to know that I have understood the changes correctly. slight_smile

Message 1 of 633
632 REPLIES 632

Anonymous
Not applicable
Totally agree, just extra revenue for O2. This is not "Changing for the better" it's changing yo our detriment as users.
Message 91 of 633

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am so angry with 02, I don't need their extra bundle or extra cost. I just want an occasional call for 50p for 60 minutes as is currently available. I use wifi for everything else.
Message 92 of 633

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Martin-O2 could we merge this thread with the other one please....http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/O2-Travel-Changes-7-4/m-p/953179#U953179

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 93 of 633

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I am so angry with 02, I don't need their extra bundle or extra cost. I just want an occasional call for 50p for 60 minutes as is currently available. I use wifi for everything else.

Hi @Anonymous I feel the same as you. However if you are on contract you can download TuGo. You can call and text over wifi when abroad ..http://www.o2.co.uk/apps/tu-go

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 94 of 633

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Martin-O2 could we merge this thread with the other one please....http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/O2-Travel-Changes-7-4/m-p/953179#U953179

@Cleoriff Done wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 95 of 633

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Another merge @Martin-O2 please

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 96 of 633

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Martin-O2 and another merge please mate.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 97 of 633

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@MI5 Done and done wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 98 of 633

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

I'm getting confused with all these same threads.

Can this be merged too please @Martin-O2

Currently using:
Message 99 of 633

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
My heads spinning wink

Currently using:
Message 100 of 633