Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Refund

Darossi
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
O2 debited £62 from my bank account when it wasn't due (all bills paid and up to date). They admitted their error and said they would Refund to my bank account. This was on the 2nd Feb. First they said it would be there by the 16th, then the 20th. Still nothing. Have spoke to various people and all they say is that is has been processed. My bank have no record of the credit. Like others on this forum, I was asked to provide a screenshot of my bank statement to prove it wasn't received. I'm apparently a 'platinum' customer. I sure don't feel like one. I'm now told that the one person in the cash team (who apparently is the one who can help) didn't answer the message sent to her at 12 o clock today and has now gone home so I have to wait. In this day and age I can send money to another persons account instantly. Or at least within 2-3 days at the latest. I'm now 20 days in and still no money.
Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23059 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@Darossi  You can lodge a formal complaint here: http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23059 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@Darossi  You can lodge a formal complaint here: http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
Try the "resolver" method on the link given by Bambino - we've heard good reports about that process.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122891 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@DarossiI see you asked your bank to get this money returned...they should have been of more help than they have been

If a direct debit has been taken from your bank account incorrectly, you are protected by the Direct Debit Guarantee
All you need to do is contact your bank and ask them to action a Direct Debit Indemnity. Assuming the payment was in error by O2 then your bank must put you back into the position you were in before the payment was taken including bank charges. .

If however the payment was taken by a Visa debit card, your bank can put the transaction into dispute for up to 60 days freeing up that amount in your account.

However if O2 were due the payment then you cannot action the above.
Hope you get it sorted....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 9

Darossi
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
The bank said you can only request an indemnity on the day the money was taken.
Message 5 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122891 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I don't think that's true at all. I had money taken out of my bank when the direct debit was finished (Not O2)

Two overpaments were made. It was an error and the bank refunded the money within 24 hrs..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 9

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

@Cleoriff is spot on, there's definitely no same day/24hr time restriction on the Direct Debit Guarantee. In fact, whilst not idea, O2 will often advise that customers make an indemnity claim in the event that an error has occured, simply because this is a far quicker process than a manual reversal.

Direct Debit Guarantee

• The Guarantee is offered by all banks and building societies that accept instructions to pay Direct Debits
  • If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit the organisation will notify you (normally 10 working days) in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request the organisation to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request
  • If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society
    • If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when the organisation asks you to
  • You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society. Written confirmation may be required. Please also notify the organisation.

* The Guarantee covers Direct Debit payments. It cannot be used to address contractual disputes between you and the billing organisation

Speaking from personal experience, I had a situation where a regular DD had been changed without my consent, and in error. This incorrect sum was collected from my account over a number of months, however went unnoticed for some time due to being a relatively small difference. I had no issue in making an indemnity claim, and received all of the payments back in full in less tha n 4 hours. I then made the correct payment due to the company in question.

Definitely persevere with CS - if as suggested it is a DD payment (otherwise you wouldn't have been speaking to your bank about indemnity claims) then ask them for the GED reference that appears on the transaction. The CS/Payment Management teams will then be able to trace the transaction and confirm exactly what was taken, when and why - which may help shed some light on it for you. If you're not satisfied that the amount is owed, that's where the indemnity claim under the DD Guarantee comes in - although please remain conscious of any adverse impact to your credit file if O2 maintain that the sum is due. 

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 7 of 9

Darossi
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for all the advice. The problem arose when I changed my direct debit date. I changed this in more than enough time before my next payment is due. I paid the outstanding amount but O2 still deducted the same amount again on the original date. They said Direct Debits are processed from 5 days before the due date so any changes to the date must be made before then. My original direct debit date was the 1st of the month and I requested the change on the 20th so more than enough time. In any case, they have agreed that the money shouldn't have been taken.
Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 144288 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27641 Solutions
If the money was showing as a credit on your account (which it should be if payment was taken twice) that credit would be used to pay next months bill so the DD would not be called for the following month.
Therefore your bank balance would neutralise after the next billing cycle.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 9