Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Problem

amici-pat
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 58 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Ok almost no service at my home address for over 2 weeks.   I have 2 mobiles on o2 and 1 on Tesco.   Tesco tell me nothing wrong with mobile must be O2 whom they also use.   No help online, so went into shop today.

All 3 of my 'phones are less than 1 year old, yet none work from my home address,   they try to connect but cannot stay connected for more than a few seconds.

Visited O2 store today and this is what I have been told:

We are aware that there is a 'rogue' mast in your area and it is trying to connect you to 4G, and because 4G is not available in our area the connection is being 'dropped'.

Solution, my 2 Samsung Edge 'phones have been set up by them at the store to only work on 2G.   They can do nothing to help on my i phone 6.

They cannot say if or when this problem will be corrected as they are unable to detect where the rogue mast is!!!!

At least it is kind of working, but certainly not up to the standard my Contract promises.   i phone still not working and no offer of a fix.

Can this really be happening and if so, what, if anything can I do?   It really is not acceptable.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

@amici-patYou could complain and hopefully get some sort of goodwill payment...

http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Edited to ask if Tu may be an option for you short term http://www.o2.co.uk/apps/tu-go

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 12

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

The iphone can be set to ignore 4g settings> mobile data> mobile data options> enable 4g off

But if a rogue (illegal) mast ofcom will have to resolve it .

What is shown here http://Status.o2.co.uk  for your exact postcode

Edit 

I would suggest a booster rather than a mast https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/coverage/mobile-repeaters causing the local issue 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 12

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
Your iPhone can also utilise WiFi calling when at home http://www.o2.co.uk/connectivity/wifi-and-4g-calling
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 12

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@MI5 Is the iPhone 6 now included 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 12

amici-pat
  • 58 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

OK, after several minutes trying to tell me nothing had changed, on chat, I finally get this:

There's no changes in your contract, phone settings or on your account. The 4G and 3G connectivity of your area for voice calls has been stopped. We don't have any update why this has happened.

So, no notification of this change, no information to change my settings, denial when first bringing up the subject, what is going on.

I am not techie (over 70 and female) but surely they cannot just do this?   Should I get compensation, or indeed be able to cancel my contract.

I do not know what 2g 3g or indeed 4g is all about other than being told at the time of contract that I could not as yet get 4g in my area, but 3g is great.

They are now telling me during the chat that I only needed 3g for mobile data and not calls.

My problem is that I had no service for over 2 weeks, and I now feel I am being lied too and mis-led.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge can help me to understand this mess.

Is there a way to change to 2 g on i phone 6 - the O2 Guru in the shop said he could not change this as apple will not allow this.

I also have a mobile on Tesco Contract which I have already spoken to in store, and they certainly know nothing about this, but as they use o2, of course my contracted phone with them is not working either.

Message 6 of 12

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions
Yes it is Adam, hence why I suggested it.
@amici-pat without knowing the full story of what has happened in your area, we couldn't comment on your best course of action.
A major change to the network in your area would give you rights to cancel if it was permanent, but it may not be, we just don't know.
You do only need 2g for calls though and wifi will cover your data needs when at home so all is not lost.
If you send a private message to @MercedesS she may be able to get more details from you and look into it for you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 12

MI5
  • 143182 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27459 Solutions

@amici-pat wrote:

Is there a way to change to 2 g on i phone 6 - the O2 Guru in the shop said he could not change this as apple will not allow this.

As adam said above, you need to turn off 4g in settings.

The iphone can be set to ignore 4g settings> mobile data> mobile data options> enable 4g off

Currently using:
Message 8 of 12

amici-pat
  • 58 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Thank you all. I have now changed the settings on the i phone and at the moment all is well. Tesco is being as evasive as ever, no help there. My Samsung Edge just will not work whatever I do, but 10 miles away in Tesco store it works. I just cannot understand how and why this has happened.

I have to leave it for now. Getting ready for a replacement knee on Thursday and this is the last thing I needed.

Again thank you all.
Message 9 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122117 Posts
  • 823 Topics
  • 7456 Solutions

Hope all goes well with the phone and best of luck with the knee replacement @amici-pat wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 12