Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Charged For Internet When Using Wifi

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

There are numerous threads about people being charged (usually 31 per day) by O2 for data usage even though they are using wifi.

The problem here is that you will almost certainly have your cellular data turned on.  Even if you are not using your phone, the cellular data can still run in the background as many apps will run or update in the background and overnight.

You can turn your wifi and cellular data on and you will get charged for data even if you are browsing the internet and using apps through wifi.

All phones are different but you can find your cellular data options in the settings. Disable cellular data to turn off the cellular data and allow you to run your phone only through wifi.

You cannot get refunded from O2 for these charges as it is the users fault for having their cellular data turned on.

The best thing the user can do to prevent being charged for data usage (and also to preserve battery life) is to have one or the other on.  So if you at home and you have a wifi signal then use only wifi and keep the cellular data turned off.  Or if you are at the shops and there is no wifi signal available then turn wifi off and turn cellular data on.  It is common sense really but sometimes people do not understand that the phone will still run off both and not just to wifi until you turn cellular data off.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for sharing.

Yes it's a common occurrence when people find out about web daily charges and then come here to enquire why.

Even more now people are using smartphones more and more.

Let's hope they use the search function in the forum or google so they can come across the many posts touching on this subject.
Message 2 of 14

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

Thanks BoB.

When I first got the iPhone I had both wifi and cellular data turned on and I wondered why my data allowance kept going down quickly when I was on wifi 98% of the time.  Apart from draining my battery and using my monthly data allowance, it was a waste of time as the phone can't run from both.

Most people will presume that the phone will run off wifi if its available and not use cellular data - but this is not true.

If this helps one person then i'll be happy Hug

Message 3 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Android, Windows & BB phones turn off mobile data when connected to wifi. It's only Apples silly policy that this applies to and then only when the screen turns off, unless you leave your charger connected.
Android, Windows & BB have a setting in wifi advanced that allows you to select "Always keep wifi on"

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Another one up for android wink
Message 5 of 14

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Another one up for android wink

I'm guessing you're a fan of android?

Message 6 of 14

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
Well my take
For iphones.
Iphones will defauly in this order for data if available 2g 3g 4g wifi. but if your iphone sleeps it will default to cell/mobile data. unless it is on charge/plugged in.

I for one have never seen spurious data usage.
My iphone is left plugged in at my desk and overnight on my sony dab lightning charger dock clock radio. (no detremental battery life effects)
On payg with an allowance then even if it used a few mb fine (other settings can control what updates on cell/mobile data)

But the issue is on payg with no data allowance and then we see the I have been charged posts (claiming o2 have stolen / robbed them)

JUst my take
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was always a fan of IPhones until I tried an android now I wouldn't go back they have so many limitations
Message 8 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Factually correct Adam, as always wink

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 14

gemz4the1
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

@adamtemp64 wrote:

But the issue is on payg with no data allowance and then we see the I have been charged posts (claiming o2 have stolen / robbed them)

I agree - O2 haven't robbed them - they simply have no tariff.  It is like when people get charged for texts and calls when they have no tariff or they have used all of their monthly allowance and they claim that O2 are 'stealing' from them.

I used to be a big fan of Samsung and then I went to Blackberry when the BBM phase was the 'in' thing for young ones and since I got the iPhone 3G I have loved Apple.  Obviously i've had a few issues but all devices/networks have some issues - nothing is perfect.

Message 10 of 14