cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent Charges Taken by O2

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am writing to you to raise an issue about Mobile (Pay Monthly) at O2 on September 9th, 2016.

Whilst in Pakistan from 28/08/16 my wife's account had started to show a particular number was being charged for allegedly being contacted too.

When actually it was an unknown number contacting her phone whilst being abroad. Even though the calls were never answered and no voicemails were left or again answered, when queried on 06/12/16, we were advised that the calls were possible fraudulent as my wife had complained through O2 online chat facility, whereby she was advised to take the sim physically out of her phone. To which she did. She was still being billed from the same number.

We have screen shots of the call log, showing as calls being received and not being made from unknown numbers, which completely differs from the account stating that calls were being made originally.

When I spoke to an operator from O2's fraud department, she confirmed the calls as possible fraudulent and authorised for a refund for the month of December and asked me to contact back in regards to back dating the refund from the time these fraudulent calls were being made.

When I spoke to O2 again on 11/01/17 the operator did not allowing me to speak to a manager or transfer me to someone from the fraud department, but read from the account file the initial investigation findings and told to file a complaint.

Then he started to clarify what he told me, as first he said, we accepted or accessed the voicemail or the data showed that we possibly could have. When I confirmed that we didn't, he said that the information is showing that someone or we did and that there was no information from the telecom supplier in Pakistan to confirm this.

As discussed with the operator from December conversation that accepted that calls charged to a particular number was not made by us and not answered by us, nor voicemail was accessed, for us to be charged.

The calls started from 09/09/16 onwards.

NOW...

O2 have said the charges will stand, they calim I didn't speak to anyone from the Freaud and Security Team, when I cleary did.

How do I go about getting transcripts of all cpnversations between me and Customer Services?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
You will need to call and request the transcripts if they are available http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 16

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions
Message 3 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122923 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

You say you have already spoken to someone from O2's fraud dept? Surely they will have a transcript of those calls and what they agreed should happen @Anonymous?

I would keep requesting to be put through to them....

If not you can always raise a complaint http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Edited to add...apologies for delay in posting. I was searching for a number for the Fraud dept. Couldn't find one...:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

So firstly, the account waas originally charged as outgoing calls to a specific number.

Then when WE challenged that no outbound calls were made, they completed a SIM managment investigation and said that we had recieved these as inbound call and the calls went to voicemail. We apparently (or someone else did) accessed the voicemails and that is where the charges occured. No explanation as to why we were originally charged for the outgoing calls to this number, as it still shows on the online account.

We have call log screen shots that show inbound calls came as unkonwn numbers. They were not answered and also the call logs show no voicemails were answered. So how they hell can they charge us for the calls/voicemails.

A refund was given for the month of December for the calls, I specifically remember asking if this was acceptance of liability that we did not make or answered any voicemails (the voicemail is turned off!) to inccur these charges ourselves and was tld these look like possible fraudulant activity.

When I spoke to a CSA he said that there is no prove to say that we accessed the voicemails as the SIM/Phone was in Pakistan and they would not be able to access their data (from Pakistan) that would catergorically advise if and when was accessed our voicemails. But again, we have call log screen shots of the dates and times the inbound calls were not answered and also showing that voicemails were not accessed at the said times as per our account logs.

I believe the evidence that I have supplied outweighs the inconsistent evidence that O2 have based their judgement on.

Now I have to go through the whole complaints procedure, even up to the Omnibus service if neccessary.

Has anyone else heard of a scam like this? I have tried calling the number 07461997685 repeatedly, to find out who it is, but it is an O2 sim number which is always off. 

My wife has taken her SIM out of her phone now.

Message 5 of 16

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
You will just have to keep pursuing CS, complaints or the Ombudsman until you get resolution.
At least if the sim is out you can't be charged any further.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh...I intend too! I feel that O2 are just going to be prolonging the process, probably thinking I will go away.

Aparently, the contract company Capita handles customer complaints for O2. Just shows what O2 think of their customers who need to complain; that they need to outsource to a thrid party company. So definately no compassion there towards their O2 customers!

They probably put their KPI's before offering refunds that occur on peoples accounts - they money they save instead of refunding customers duly.

Shame, my wife has been a loyal customer with O2 for over 4 years and this is how they treat their long standing customer base? Pretty sad really.

She'll be asking for the PAK number on her return, as she is out of contract with them.

Message 7 of 16

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Unfortunately you've hit the nail on the head there.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 16

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10171 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

I cant believe that no one has mentioned that whilst roaming any inbound call that is bounced to voicemail or back to the UK are charged as an outbound call from the roaming network.

So everytime someone dials your number and it gets bounced back it charges you the roaming cost. It could be someone is just simply mis dialling your someone elses number.

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref(User):str(Mobile),C...

To obtain call logs, transcipts and data, you will have to log a DPA Access request, this will cost you £10.00 as per the statutory fees, full details here:

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/how-to-get-a-copy-of-the-information-we-store-about-you

Like many companies o2 outsource customer services, indeed some of the biggest names in the UK dont do CS themselves, evenApple outsource there Customer Services.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 9 of 16

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
The op stated no vm's were left or dialled back.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 16