cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

February Cost Increase supposedly due to inflation

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 are citing a rise of 3.2% in inflation to justify increasing costs.

I have just checked out the .gov site and the UK Inflation Rate see below:

Jan 12   3.6%

Apr 12   3.5%

Oct 12   2.2%

Jan 13   2.7%

Pray tell, where is there a rise of 3.2%... Would O2 care to defend themselves I wonder.

I have been with O2 for more years than I care to remember, I am seriously looking at moving to a sim only deal and Virgin beats O2 hands down.

1200 mins

Unlimited Texts

1Gb Data

£12 on a rolling month contract

The equivalent with O2 £36

And thats before the increase, no contest....... 

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

ACTUALLY O2 DO SAY INFLATION NOT RPI SEE EXTRACT BELOW..

Pay Monthly tariffs are going up in price. From 28 February 2013 they'll increase by 3.2% in line with inflation as at December 2012 when we made the announcement

Now are my eyes decieving me or does this say RPI ????

You can argue until you're blue in the face, the prices are going up whether you like it or not.

Read more here:

http://www.o2.co.uk/desktop/prices

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 12 of 18

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 13 of 18

MI5
  • 144188 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
I'll quote the full text, not the selective text that you have....

"A change to the price of your Pay Monthly mobile tariff
What's changing. Why. And when

We've always done everything possible to give you great value. And keep your bills down.

To date, we've held off putting our tariff prices up for as long as possible. Even when our competitors raised theirs.

But now, because of inflation, we need to change the price of your tariff.

From 28 February 2013, your line rental will go up by 3.2% (that's in line with the published RPI when we announced this increase on 11th December).

You'll see the increase on the first bill you get after 28 February 2013."
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 18

MI5
  • 144188 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Understanding inflation:
Inflation is a rise in the price of goods and services we buy
The annual rate of inflation shows how much higher or lower prices are compared with the same month a year earlier. It indicates changes to our cost of living
So if the inflation rate is 3% in January, for example, prices are 3% higher than they were 12 months earlier. Or, to look at it another way, we need to spend 3% more to buy the same things
We compare this to the annual change recorded in the previous month to get an idea of whether price rises are getting bigger or smaller
If the annual rate has risen from 3% to 4% from one month to the next, prices are rising at a faster rate
If the rate is said has fallen - say from 3% to 2% - prices of the things we buy are still higher, but have not increased by as much
If the percentage rate is negative - for example, -1% - then prices are 1% cheaper than a year ago
The figures are compiled by the Office for National Statistics. The inflation rate is calculated every month by looking at the changes in prices of 700 goods and services in 150 different areas across the UK.
This is known as the basket of goods and is regularly updated to reflect changes in the things we buy. Hence the recent inclusion of tablet computers and Twilight books and the exclusion of casserole dishes and photo printing services.
There are two main measures: the Consumer Prices Index (CPI) and the Retail Prices Index (RPI). These are, in effect, two baskets comprising different goods and services, and different methods are used to calculate them. There are many differences, but the biggest is that RPI includes housing costs such as mortgage interest payments and council tax, whereas CPI does not.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 18

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Inflation is measured in a number of different ways. O2 as a retailer uses the retail price index.
Message 17 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys,

Especially with these kinds of topics, things can quickly become heated and I would like to ask everyone to take these circumstances into consideration. This will really help with keeping the situation from escalating.

If you feel something needs intervention, please use the "Report Inappropriate Content" button to send us a a report. Even if we're off, we always keep an eye on these incoming reports, so that's almost always the best way to deal with it.

I'm closing this thread for now, but please everyone, treat each other with respect. We're almost all customers here, so there's really no reason to get upset with each other.

For anyone who would like to discuss the price increase, please head over to the main thread: http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/O2-contract-customers-face-3-2-price-hike-from-F...

Thanks,

Leonard

Message 18 of 18