cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False advertising and branding of loyalty

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello everyone,

I am making a complaint about my recent upgrade and the way it has been advertised and  handled in an extremely misleading manner.

O2 are currently advertising a sim only promotion of 5GB data and unlimited minutes/texts for £16/month (https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/sim-cards/sim-only-deals/#deviceType=phone&contractLength=P12M), so I thought brilliant, time to upgrade, and went through with the purchase.  Got my confirmation through and all was in order.  Got a text the next day saying the upgrade was successful so I checked my tariff only to find that price was at £24/month (the non-promotional price).

Long story short I contacted O2 multiple times and spoken to four different people, all saying that a loyalty discount has been applied to my account so the price is definitely £16/month.  But hang on, I think surely if a loyalty discount is applicable then that should be taken off the pruchase price of £16.  Upon much pressing I was told there was apparently an error on the system at purchase so I would be charged £24, but this was flagged up so they used a loyalty discount to bring it down to £16.  Now I don't think I am being obtuse when I say that this error is surely a seperate situation and a loyalty discount should be applied separately.  Probing a manager further I then got told that the loyalty discount is the type of discount used in this promotion and that everyone receives it whether a new or old customer.  

This boggles my mind as to how it can be called a loyalty discount when even new customers are given it, and what annoys me further is that this so called loyalty discount is not advertised in any single situation, even on my order confirmation ( http://imgur.com/wVYjn9r ).

Am I just being stupid here or is it just O2 that cannot comprehend how non-sensical this is?

Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

So I got contacted by the complaints service who went through the whole sitution with me and explained everything as best as they could.  So the loyalty discount is the only discount that is available to them and is used as the promotional discount, so I stated how I thought this was misleading and asked whether they could review this.  The advisor also apologised for the lack of good advice when I intially contacted them over this situation and have credited my account with a small amount as gesture of good will.

I feel like the situation has quite been resolved yet, but hopefully this miswording of the discounts etc gets resolved before my contract ends next year!

Thanks for all your help everyone!!

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

I thought the discount showed separately on your bill 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 18

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122816 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

It should show on your next bill as a minus  figure. I was on an £18 a month tariff 1/2 price for 6 months. My bill always showed the full £18.00 but checking through to the download bill section, they had removed £9.00 of it ...so I was only actually charged the £9.00 as promised ....This is how it works. Confusing but I was never overcharged. Also as this is new you may have had a small outstanding amount from your last bill @Anonymous

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 18

MI5
  • 144170 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
I'm not sure where the loyalty aspect comes in at all as it isn't anything to do with loyalty.
It's an offer that is running for anyone.
Your MyO2 will show the full tariff price and a bolt on is applied to give the discount when the bill is produced.
The customer will always pay the discounted price for the base tariff but the headline tariff price will always show the full price before discount.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 18

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Sounds like phone agent did not know how the offers work lol

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 18

MI5
  • 144170 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
They never do!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 18

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I took out an offer of 8GB, unlimited texts and minutes for £23.00/month with a loyalty discount of £7.00/month which shows as a bolt on separately on the bill. Advertised as a loyalty discount and shown as such.

Screenshot_20**Personal info**-**Personal info**.png

Screenshot_20**Personal info**-**Personal info**.png

Message 7 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info everyone, I've learnt more here in a few mintues than I have from all the phone calls.  I can now see that there is a loyalty discount added as a bolt on to my tariff.

But what I am miffed at and cannot understand is how the loyalty bolt on is used to bring the tariff down to £16 when in fact it is advertised to anyone and everyone at £16 in the first place Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 18

MI5
  • 144170 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Exactly my point about not being anything to do with loyalty!

Currently using:
Message 9 of 18

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous I hope this helps you understand what happened 

Apple Watch series 4

Message 10 of 18