cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Demanding I pay bill I havent had yet

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm getting a strange email from 02 repeatedly, several times a day, and I've spoken with them on the phone and in chat 3 times now and yet am still receiving them. It's not a mail I've ever had before in the 6 years I've been with them.

To elaborate, I frequently use my phone to pay for games on my PS4.. by frequently I'd say once every two or three months, but I've been doing this for some time. It's my treat to myself. Never had a problem, it always gets added to the next bill. I've never had a single message about this from them. 

Two days ago I purchased a game as I usually do, and suddenly they're emailing me this: 

You've spent £30.08 more than your normal monthly bill (without VAT).

We've stopped you being able to add purchases to your mobile bill, text, call and receive calls on your mobile. To get back up and running again, you'll need to pay £75.73 which includes any existing overdue charges. You can pay through the My O2 app or go to www.o2.co.uk/Myo2/payment. Or you can call 0344 8090202 from another phone.

Once you've paid, your service should be back to normal within four hours (but it can take up to 24 hours). If you're having trouble, try turning your phone off and on again.

If you've already paid, or you're now spending less, you don't need to do anything else.

I thought that was odd, but went and paid my actual bill (£45) anyway and then I get this:

You've paid £25.65 towards your next bill.

You needed to pay £55.73 to get your service back to normal. So you still owe us £30.08.

You can pay through the My O2 app or go to www.o2.co.uk/Myo2/payment. Or you can call 0344 8090202 from another phone. Once you've paid, your service should be back to normal within four hours (but it can take up to 24 hours). If you're having trouble, try turning your phone off and on again.

If you've already paid, or you're now spending less, you don't need to do anything else.

Thanks
O2

I'm aware that says £25.. I actually paid in two parts off two cards so I got this email twice with slightly different numbers. 

But when I read it it makes no sense. My services aren't restricted.. and its asking me to pay my NEXT bill? Which I don't even receive until August 9th. 

All customer service people say just ignore it and nothings happening, but obviously something is if they're repeatedly sending me emails demanding money on my NEXT bill. I'm so confused, and don't want to get cut off, and don't understand why they're considering this 'Unusual activity' when I do it pretty much every other month for the last few years. 

Is this is a scam? Is this some new harassment system they've worked out? When I log in to my 02 account it doesn't say I owe them anything, so why do they keep hassling me for this money that should be on a bill I don't even have yet?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Looks like you have been caught by this clause in the t&c

only customer service can confirm this 

5.10 We can't set usage limits on your account. We'll try to monitor usage of the Service through your account to control our credit risk and your exposure to fraudulent usage or unintended Charges caused by your usage, but we can't guarantee this and O2 is not responsible or liable for any such fraudulent usage. If we see usage on your account that causes us concern, we might restrict use of the Service on your SIM Card and/or bar your SIM Card. You'll need to contact us before you can use any of the chargeable aspects of the Service again. You may also have to make an interim payment before the Service can be restored.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

That's an interesting clause @adamtemp64 and if this is what's happening then it's a pity customer services can't explain it to @Anonymous It's worrying that the op is repeatedly getting the texts even after they call and check the account. As you say, only CS can confirm https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus  ....though if this was happening to me I would either think it was a scam... or my account had been hacked.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 8

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Cleoriff agreed but with more charge to mobile fraud and premium rate scams perhaps they have tightened up the system or just another part of the system going belly up.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 4 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Just go by what your bill is in your MyO2.
Check also under the recent charges section but if it shows that you owe nothing in there, don't pay anything else.
Your bills will work themselves out after your July bill is generated in August.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 8

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
I had this last year.
Bear in mind most regulars will know timescale of just how long back I've done this before.
So I stick my community rewards on PlayStation, when they announce the rewards, I go on and top it up with the amount of reward.
It's awesome, keeps me gaming for free lol.
So last year on one bigger than usual reward I put on 30 on the PlayStation.
Next day I wake up to same message as op.
Apparently sticking 30 quid on psn is fine, but I also bought a few apps on play store so pushed it over some kind of limit.
Rang up and explained the situation, but they were adamant I'd have to pay the balance... Screw that! I spent reward, cs seemed perplexed by that.
So told them I'd wait out for the bill generation to unlock my account and I'd expect to be credited in full for all the days service they were withholding from me and if it didn't reset on bill generation then I'd also be seeking to close account as they were withholding inclusive free calls and texts under the guise of "credit control" just for sole purpose of forcing customers to pay regardless of pending credits on account.

It was unlocked about 3 hours later.
Message 6 of 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

I find it worrying that most people in customer service don't know their own terms and conditions and can't advise accordingly. 

Message 7 of 8

MercedesS
Former Staff
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Hello @Anonymous, we have sent you a Private Message to request more info to be able to help you more. Wave

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 8 of 8