cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage

Anonymous
Not applicable
So i use to have 5GB of data and every now and then I'd use it all up, so i looked at getting more and i upgraded my monthly allowance to 20GB. since ive done this my data usage has trebled and im using the 20GB with a week of the month left! Is there anyway i can see whats randomly eating all my data because as far as i know I've not changed my habits much well at least not to warrant 15GB more being used
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie its every network, its the programming writen into IOS and the "behind the sceens" constant updates its not the network its the IOS platform... the only way to get around it is to look at other networks that offer more data for what you pay in line rental to help this issue, my mum is on Voda and she has/had the exact same issues 

Message 11 of 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

Seems to coincide with the 10.3.3 update @jonsie

I can understand that but it seems every update over the last few years causes data issues. I know that you would have tried everything before giving up and changing network. Strange how this appears to be an O2 bug or are other networks having problems too? 

We've got 2 iPhones on EE now and not seen the problem, but am monitoring it.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have an iPhone on o2 & have never had this data problem. Then again I do turn off the obvious things that could cause it like WiFi assist, background refresh. Updates to WiFi only. In mobile data. Turn off the apps that you don’t use while using data & just use the ones you would while out & about. Also GPS maps & constant location searching will use data 

Message 13 of 19

MI5
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
I have Wifi assist on and according to the counter it's used 122mb of data since 10/03/17 so I would hardly say it's a data hog.
It also won't activate when you are roaming either to avoid surprising data roaming charges.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 Maybe it’s me or I’m just being careful 

Message 15 of 19

MI5
  • 144145 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Personal choice mate but was just pointing out typical usage amounts.

Currently using:
Message 16 of 19

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

I'm of the opinion that a smart is fairly useless if you have to turn everything off..... 

Message 17 of 19

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey @Anonymous did you have any luck finding out what your data was being used for? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 18 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone  I have a samsung s7 edge.  thanks for all the suggestions

Message 19 of 19