cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage

Anonymous
Not applicable
So i use to have 5GB of data and every now and then I'd use it all up, so i looked at getting more and i upgraded my monthly allowance to 20GB. since ive done this my data usage has trebled and im using the 20GB with a week of the month left! Is there anyway i can see whats randomly eating all my data because as far as i know I've not changed my habits much well at least not to warrant 15GB more being used
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous What sort of phone have you got?  I think there were a few threads about this happening on iPhones? You can check in your phone settings to see what's using data...also My O2 will show actual data used http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Another thread here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Sudden-data-usage/m-p/1067301/highlight/true#M1...

And here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Data-usage-excessive/m-p/1071240/highlight/true...

If you dont agree with the usage then you have to contact customer services https://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

As I understand it..this was happening on some iPhones after the latest update...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 19

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
A pound to a penny this is iOS related.
We're getting quite a few of these reports just lately.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am putting small odds on this being an iPhone.
Message 5 of 19

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

I wonder what's changed? The phone and data were fine on the 5GB tariff but usage has trebled since upgrading to 20GB. I'm sure it's iOS related but obviously something is badly amiss with O2's systems. This has been happening for years to certain customers.

@Anonymous have you checked in the phone settings to see what data usage is for individual apps. Do you reset the data each month? 

Message 6 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Problem with iOS is that its a killer on updates i had the same issues i was using near on 3gb a week, my suggestion is go into settings - mobile networks - and tuen off wifi assist! wifi assist means your phone will use mobile data whilst using wifi, an i phone is constantkly updating in the background, make sure your main apps are tuned onto update when coneccted to wifi only, you will also see what apps are data hungry such as faceache, you tube spotify etc, then you can decide how you want these apps to work.. if you use whats app to make calls that will be very very data hungry when not connected to wifi!! unfortunatly from past experiance and dealing with this issue myself customer services can only give you what data your using and not what apps are using what, you just need to monitor that your self.. but in forst instance turn off wifi assist and look at your apps and updates.. slight_smile 

Message 7 of 19

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

Seems to coincide with the 10.3.3 update @jonsie

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 @jonsie it was that update that I started to get my issues started around November time and went on for a good few months, im guessing simular issues when IOS 11 is rolled out! 

Message 9 of 19

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

Seems to coincide with the 10.3.3 update @jonsie

I can understand that but it seems every update over the last few years causes data issues. I know that you would have tried everything before giving up and changing network. Strange how this appears to be an O2 bug or are other networks having problems too? 

Message 10 of 19