Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4g in Northern ireland?

Charlieboyoo
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 284 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

I was on the o2 website there and it says trial 4g, "we are giving a 90 day happiness guarantee" I checked what cities are presently covered and which ones will be available by the end of the year.But theres no sign or mention of Northern Ireland.I checked vodafone and they are the same.Its no wonder EE has a monopoly at the moment.They are covering most major cities,even Belfast.o2 are being very slow,at rolling out 4G and when three launches 4g they are not charging any extra.I personaly think EE and Three will come out top.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Charlieboyoo wrote:

I was on the o2 website there and it says trial 4g, "we are giving a 90 day happiness guarantee" I checked what cities are presently covered and which ones will be available by the end of the year.But theres no sign or mention of Northern Ireland.I checked vodafone and they are the same.Its no wonder EE has a monopoly at the moment.They are covering most major cities,even Belfast.o2 are being very slow,at rolling out 4G and when three launches 4g they are not charging any extra.I personaly think EE and Three will come out top.

4G only started being rolled out by O2 and Vodafone yesterday, and is currently only available from O2 in Leeds, Bradford and London. Like Northern Ireland, Scotland and most of the rest of England and Wales doesn't have it yet either!

In what way are they being very slow to roll out 4G? Switching to 4G involves upgrading alot of network infrastructure, all of which takes time. I would rather it was done properly rather than rushing it out. EE only have a monopoly at the moment because they started rolling it out first after being given the green light to start rolling it out over their 1800MHz spetrum last August. The other operators had to wait until this year to be able to buy 4G spectrum ranges via the central auction. In any case EE customer service and the majority of their network coverage is rotten.

3 were one of the major players when 3G was introduced and they have remained small time. They won't make much of an impact in the cellular market even by offering 4G at the same price as current contracts.

Message 2 of 7

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Charlieboyoo wrote:

I was on the o2 website there and it says trial 4g, "we are giving a 90 day happiness guarantee" I checked what cities are presently covered and which ones will be available by the end of the year.But theres no sign or mention of Northern Ireland.

O2 don't have a website for NI, this is it.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 7

RueDrBouree
Level 4: Observant
  • 45 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
Hi

Slightly off topic but via the three blog customers have been asking when three will launch 4G in various regions. For some areas the reply from Three has been 2014. One customer asked when Three would launch 4G in Belfast and the answer given was "Its not currently on the list".

My "guess" is that it will be 18months before Three launch 4G in NI. Three don't seam to be in a hurry to launch 4g anywhere. However this is all really new and a lot will happen over the next year. Only the networks can say for sure but I would be surprised if parts of Belfast don't have 4G from O2/Vodafone by next summer.

Spare a thought for us poor people in north kent 70 mile from London and no hope of getting 4G from any network for several years!

Alex
Been an O2 customer (off and on) since 1995
Message 4 of 7

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@RueDrBouree wrote:
Spare a thought for us poor people in north kent 70 mile from London and no hope of getting 4G from any network for several years!

You might be lucky, O2 are committed to providing indoor coverage to 98% of the population by 2015 for 2G 3G and 4G:

http://www.o2.co.uk/network/future

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in NI too. TBH this area has only just started getting widespread 3G coverage, 4G is still gonna be many moons away. EE offer 4G in Belfast, but you don't have to stray many miles from the city centre before you revert back to 3G.

I have a friend who works for Vodafone. He explained to me that most networks coverage is population based. I.e. they only cover areas where there are people who will benefit from it. With NI being so sparsely populated, it would take a huge financial input from the networks to cover the whole area, with minimal return. Chances are, we'll get 4G round about the time 5G is rolling out.

Message 6 of 7

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

You stand a far better chance of getting coverage by 2015 from O2 considering their commitment is to provide 98% indoor coverage.

Message 7 of 7