Did you mean: 

o2 payg sim wont activate?

pop1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

Went to my local & purchased a PAYG sim to use the number for a OTP / 2FA code. Didn't top up or anything, popped it in the phone and the 4G & O2 signs came up at the top - good sign.

Unfortunately, nothing else seems to work. I wasn't receiving any 2FA codes, and the 4g signal wasn't working on any webpages either. I thought the only necessary action to activate a sim in this case was just popping it into the phone? I tried this on two devices too - an android and an apple. 4g popped up on both, but no internet working and no codes sent to the number.

Why is this happening? Is there a step I'm missing before the number gets activated in my instance?

I don't plan to top it up anytime soon, as i mentioned earlier, I just plan to use the number for 2FA / OTP codes. As I understand, I'll have 180 + 90 day grace period after activation before the number gets recycled again, correct?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7805 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 1643 Solutions

Sorry, you don't get a freebie SIM just to receive things. 

For your need you will have to top up and choose one of the big bundle plans which is expensive for what you want. Old fashioned payg is pretty much dead

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/big-bundles

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 9

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11392 Posts
  • 62 Topics
  • 3154 Solutions

@pop1 

You need to top it up to use the sim, you don't expect o2 to give you a free sim, and you using the service without paying... 

So why would you expect a sim with £0 balance to work and give you access to the network...

This is one of the daftest things I have read in a long time.. 

All the ways to topup are here Guide How to Top Up (PAYG)  

--
iPhone 15 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 3 of 9

pop1
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've done the same in the past - albeit yes not with the 4G working for obvious reasons, I had a brain fart there, but I've used PAYG sims to receive a OTP text and nothing else.

Message 4 of 9

pop1
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Not sure what my thinking was there with regards to questioning why the 4G wasn't working, my bad, but I have used PAYG sims in the past few months (without topping up) just simply to receive a OTP text to that number, without using any other of the network features.

Does receiving texts like this still require a top up with an o2 sim? Because I have definitely done it in the past, just forgot which network it was with..may have been three.

Message 5 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 148972 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28448 Solutions

@pop1 

If you get a brand new O2 sim it is dead to all until activated by topping up.

Once topped up once, it will retain the ability to receive calls and texts for 6 months before another top is is required.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 6 of 9

pop1
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Oh I see, I thought it would've been at least able to receive texts. Do you know other carriers that have the ability to receive them without needing to top up? It seems like three has that ability but not sure.

Message 7 of 9

pop1
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just tested something, I dont think this is true actually. Just received a verification code to the number and it worked without having to top up.

Message 8 of 9

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7805 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 1643 Solutions

Fine.... Carry on Freeloading

One of the reasons networks are abandoning PAYG 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 9 of 9