Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new IPAD Pay & Go data sim not activated

maple005
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Recently got a new IPAD Pro, so tracked down and ordered a Pay & Go data sim for IPAD. Sim arrived but no matter what I did the activation site didn't recognize the number. After many calls to O2 CS and bounced around departments I finally was passed to a representative that told me that the recent IpadOS update (15.4 I think) basically doesn't recognize O2 Pay & Go sims, so i guess O2 has removed the numbers from their databases.

Its  seems a bit strange as I cant find any word on the O2 web site about Ipad issues for their Pay & Go sims, but maybe they are hoping it will be fixed before too long. If it is an IpadOS issue i guess it wont be fixed until Apple issues their next fix/update that could be weeks / months off.

Just wondered if anyone else had come across this issue?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144065 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@maple005 

Sounds like complete rubbish to me.

Put the sim in a phone and buy a voucher to top up and activate it.

Guide How to Top Up (PAYG) 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 3

maple005
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

That's what I thought originally, but the failure to activate doesn't come from the device but from the mobile broadband activation web site (mbb.o2.co.uk). The site doesn't know what device I am putting this IPad SIM into, simply its number, so I can only assume that the number has been "blocked" in the O2 number database to prevent its activation. The fact that I got the Sim from the O2 iPad specific web page, and the pack that arrived had iPad specific stamped all over it, its  a bit surprising that it wont activate. 

To a certain degree its immaterial as I simply went to another supplier for the service, but would have liked to have tried O2 Mobile Broadband.  

Message 3 of 3