Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mobile wifi dongle PAYG

foocindy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 29 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I work from home.  I am looking for a mobile wifi (is this what I should call it) or dongle for my work laptop when my regular internet goes down.  Since its only for emergency use, I thot it would be good to have only a PAYG.

I was browsing and found this ----- Pocket Hotspot ZTE MF65.  Is this what I need?  I dont need something for multi product connection.  It would be just for one single connection.  If not, please recommend.

Example:  If I buy a pack or bundle for 2GB and it expires in 30 days.  I dont intend to buy another 2GB immediately until I need it again, perhaps in 90 days.  when I need the data, and buy the new pack of data, will it be effective immediately within minutes - I dont have to wait long?

Oh btw I am in Twickenham - is O2 coverage super duper good.  Any idea what is download speed?

rgds
cindy

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@foocindy any mifi device or pocket hotspot will do the job. 

You just need to top up when you want to use it as it will be available immediately.

If you go to speedtest.net you can check your download speeds.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@foocindy any mifi device or pocket hotspot will do the job. 

You just need to top up when you want to use it as it will be available immediately.

If you go to speedtest.net you can check your download speeds.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

foocindy
  • 29 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello MI5, Thank you.  BTW, in your opinion would you recommend O2 as mobile wifi provider.  YOur honesty very crucial becos this is not for me to just browse social media and do social stuff - this is for work.  I know we are on O2 forum here but if you think O2 is not the one to go for - please recommend and further let me know your opinion.  I also read reviews that EE is great too.  Then again, some say yes, some say no.  Once you a get a lemon, you tend not to go back for the same lemon.  Waiting to hear from you.

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Hi @foocindy Honestly, I can't recommend a network for your area as every area is different, so you should ask around your local friends and neighbours to see which networks perform best.

In my area I get a great signal from all the main 4 providers but EE is the fastest, however, as long as you get around 5mbps you should be able to do everything you need for normal useage.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@foocindy 

I use a 3 sim in my wifi dongle for my laptop. It's works in the Midlands, Somerset and Yarmouth.

In fact wherever, I take my PC.

I buy it off Amazon. It's called 'Internet with Legs' and lasts for 3 months (depending on usage) When it runs out, you just top up.

I know it does depend on where you are, which is why I listed the 3 areas I use mine...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@foocindy you can download the OpenSignal app to check your exact location from here https://www.opensignal.com/

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

foocindy
  • 29 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello MI5,

My original note reads I am in Twickenham, TW1.  I read somewhere I think it was EE or O2, I need to check, download speed 150mbps.  That is good right?

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Yes @foocindy that is a very good speed slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8