Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

keep my number whilst abroad

DaveFV
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,  I've just completed a 24 month contract with O2.  I'm now moving to Australia for a year (in fact I am now in Australia).  I used a couple of 30 days sim only contracts to see me through until I left, and after conversations with 202 they recommended I just switch it to pay as you go so that I can keep my number whilst I'm away without paying an expensive contract.  Unfortunately 202 have given me three different accounts of how to do this.  I was told initially I could just phone 202 to switch my current physical simcard to a pay as you go plan, and told I could do this whenever. I did this in teh airport as I was leaving and was then told I needed a physical new simcard to do this, but that I could get a pay as you go sim sent to my parents house and just needed the code on the simcard to transfer my number over and that I could do this from abroad as long as the new sim was in UK.  I tried to do this yesterday and 202 confidently said I couldn't do this, both sim cards need to be in the UK.  

I just want to keep my number without paying £150 for a contract I don't use at all.  Does anyone have any suggestions of how to achieve this given I am now in Australia.  Eg - can I get a PAC code and transfer my number to a new sim?  Could I get a pay as you go sim from different mobile company and use a PAC code?  Could I transfer my number to a pay as you go contract under a family members name in the UK? 

This would have been a simple issue if people at 202 had just given me straight facts from the start!

Many Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23060 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@DaveFV Send your Pay Monthly sim back to a family member in the UK and have them do a sim swap onto a Pay & Go sim.

Migration & porting into O2 - O2 Community

SIM Swap: a mini guide (incl eSim) - O2 Community

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23060 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@DaveFV Send your Pay Monthly sim back to a family member in the UK and have them do a sim swap onto a Pay & Go sim.

Migration & porting into O2 - O2 Community

SIM Swap: a mini guide (incl eSim) - O2 Community

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 3

DaveFV
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Great thanks for this advice.  Is there any problem with a family member trying to change this stuff on my behalf?  Would O2 not need to be speaking to the contract holder?

Message 3 of 3