Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 8 PAYG Cannot Send SMS Messages?

DaveC
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
I have an iPhone 8 on PAYG and cannot send text messages. I have tried dialling *#5005*7672# and get a message Error Performing Request, Unknown Error. I have tried dialling **5005*7672*+447802000432# and get the same error. I have tried putting the SIM in another iPhone, same error. I have tried putting the SIM in an android, still will not send SMS? iMessage and FaceTime will not activate. I have tried turning them off/on, still will not activate. The PAYG tariff I am on is the £10 data big bundle with 5000 texts, 500 mins of calls, data. I took the phone onto O2 shop in Croydon, the were not able to help. Does anyone have any idea how I can get SMS working? Thanks.
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Not sure - I have an Android so it is different.
According to the link below, from your dialling screen dial *#5005*7672# and press call.
If it shows +447802000332 then it should be correct.
If it shows something else, then you dial the number you tried originally (**5005*7672*+447802000332#).
Did you transfer your number from another network, or move from pay monthly to pay as you go?
o2 help page:
https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices?page=topic/texts-and-picture-messages/set-up-sms-m...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 11 of 19

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Just checked that guide on my PC @gmarkj 

Good find. (never knew it existed!!)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 19

jonsie
  • 92911 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

If you have wifi calling enabled in My O2 you may get an error message. Disabling it will allow you to dial in those codes.

Message 13 of 19

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Can you enable wifi calling on payg @jonsie? Thought it was pay monthly only (but willing to be corrected)....

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 14 of 19

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Nice to see all the troubleshooting here guys. slight_smile @DaveC  Sorry to hear you've been having trouble with this - have you made any progress since you last posted? Any luck with customer service?

Message 15 of 19

DaveC
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Hi, I was on an online chat with O2 last night for 1-hour 20 mins. The first level of O2 support passed me up to the 2nd level. The 2nd level of support said I would need to speak with the 3rd level of support who was not available until 8 am. The problem I have is that it's my wife’s phone that has the issue and I do not have her phone to hand for testing purposes. It seems I’m getting nowhere so I might have to consider switching.

Message 16 of 19

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey @DaveC , sorry to hear that, sounds frustrating. confused I'm not sure how much more could be done if you don't have the phone at hand, but I'm happy to check with our Gurus to see if they can help further in any way. I'll drop you a Private Message here on the forum shortly to get a few additional details. slight_smile

Message 17 of 19

DaveC
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

My wife called into an O2 shop and carried out a SIM swap. This has now resolved the SMS text issue and she can send text messages to android devices. Thanks to everyone for your assistance. David 🙂

Message 18 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@DaveC wrote:

My wife called into an O2 shop and carried out a SIM swap. This has now resolved the SMS text issue and she can send text messages to android devices. Thanks to everyone for your assistance. David 🙂

Pleased it's sorted for you now @DaveC  thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 19