cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

charged for unanswered calls

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm being charged for unanswered calls from landline or other mobile phones too (while I'm in  the UK). I have "international" SIM card or so. Is it normal? I googled for it and as I understand it is called connection cost. Is there some other PGO tariff that do not charge everytime somebody call me? It is very annoying, because I have had yesterday evening £7 and today I have £1.25 and I can't do anything with it.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does your network operator offer an international roaming bolt-on? May reduce the fees you pay for making and receiving calls whilst away from your home country.

Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

My SIM card and network operator is O2 UK. And after unanswered call from UK landline or UK mobile phone I'm getting charged by O2 UK. I cannot find on O2 webpages how much  cost unconnected calls from UK, there is no pricelist under tariffs.

Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd give CS a call and try and find out what the charge is actually for. I don't believe O2 charge customers for not answering the phone.

Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok I'll try it.

Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 does indeed charge for unanswered calls under some circumstance - for example, if you have voicemail switched on when you are abroad. Even though their voicemail servers are in the UK they charge for an 'international' call that you do not receive.

If they are capable of doing this without any shame they are quite capable of doing it within the UK too.

CS are very unhelpful about this situation - to the point of being rude - and simply state 'it is company policy'.

Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

O2 does indeed charge for unanswered calls under some circumstance - for example, if you have voicemail switched on when you are abroad. Even though their voicemail servers are in the UK they charge for an 'international' call that you do not receive.

If they are capable of doing this without any shame they are quite capable of doing it within the UK too.

CS are very unhelpful about this situation - to the point of being rude - and simply state 'it is company policy'.

In the situation you're describing the call from the UK is routed to the country you're in, only for your phone to reject and bounce it back to the UK for the voicemail to pick up.  Still carries an international charge because it was rejected from your phone while you were in that country.  Pretty simple, really..

Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

This occurs even when the phone is switched off. This is simply geographical hijacking. The phone is my property, I am permitted to take it anywhere I wish. I do not condone O2's tracking of my location in the world via my personal property nor apply charges for simply leaving the UK. 

Message 8 of 14

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
When you have finished ranting about O2 I think you'll find all networks operate the same way. Once you turn on your phone and it registers on a roaming network you will be chrged for the call..... Simples!!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

That is extremly rude. I can see no ranting, merely a calm and rational statement of facts. 

As to facts, as a customer for Vodafone for over a decade I can assure you that no such charges were ever applied to my account. 

I shall now resign from this community as it obviously not a place for the sharing of rational thoughts and comments but merely a handy location for O2 workers to troll their customers when out of hours without management resprisal.

Message 10 of 14