cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would I need to top up again if I don't spend the top up amount?

Classicus
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi
As a new user, I managed to top up the account with £10 today (14 October).  Then I received SMS message sating that "You've got unlimited text and minutes and 7GB of data left in your bundle.  Make sure you use them before 14 November."

But my understanding of O2 PAYG is that if I don't spend the £10 over a period of 6 months, only then I would need to top up again. 

The question is: do I need to top up every month?  Or, is my understanding as mentioned above, is correct?

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143188 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27460 Solutions

Hi again @Classicus 

O2 now only offer bundle tariffs, there is no basic PAY option anymore.

Your top up gives you allowances to use for 30 days and O2 want you to top up every 30 days to use these.

If you don't top up, your phone will still receive calls and texts, but you won't be able to make calls or send texts until you top up.

You must also top up a minimum of every 6 months to keep your number active.

As you are abroad, I don't think there are many other options for you unfortunately.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

PJC
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

If your on 7gb bundle and you have paid £10 then you will need to top up every month to continue  your 7gb + minites and texts else you will just go back to standard with you will be paying full cost for all above until you credit has gone..So recap is yes you have to yop up every month to get your free stuff 

Message 2 of 12

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11962 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1119 Solutions

Sounds like you are on a monthly bundle rather than classic PAYG @Classicus .

This means that each month you pay a fixed amount for a package of minutes, texts and data. If you use all of the included package, or you want to do something outside the bundle, then you would need to top up again but it would be charged.

The 6 months thing only really applies to the classic PAYG, which o2 don't offer to new customers.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 12

Classicus
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you, PJC and gmarkj for your replies.

I requested the free PAYG sim card online back in August. It took sometime to reach me here.

I mainly need it to receive sms messages and possibly send a few. That was my understanding when I ordered the sim card online.

No data is needed. And phone calls are 4 times more expensive if I use O2 than a local provider.

Is it possible to change the package now? What happens if I don't top up at the end of the month, would I still be able to keep the mobile number?

What would you advise me to do, please?

Message 4 of 12

MI5
  • 143188 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27460 Solutions

Hi again @Classicus 

O2 now only offer bundle tariffs, there is no basic PAY option anymore.

Your top up gives you allowances to use for 30 days and O2 want you to top up every 30 days to use these.

If you don't top up, your phone will still receive calls and texts, but you won't be able to make calls or send texts until you top up.

You must also top up a minimum of every 6 months to keep your number active.

As you are abroad, I don't think there are many other options for you unfortunately.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 12

Classicus
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello MI5,
The answer you've given sounds more like what I understood when I browsed O2 website the first time.  Two points, please:-

You said "You must also top up a minimum of every 6 months to keep your number active".
If that is the case for sure, then it is perfectly OK with me.

But you also said "If you don't top up, your phone will still receive calls and texts ..".  I am not sure about "receiving calls".  I received sms message earlier on today from O2 saying this:

"Calls from your Pay & Go mobile back to UK cost 2.00 a minute to UK mobile and landlines.  Receiving a call will cost 2.00 a minute"  So I assume that If I received a call, it would cost me 2 pounds a minute?

Not sure to be honest, as I am a complete beginner slight_smile

Message 6 of 12

MI5
  • 143188 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27460 Solutions

@Classicus 

Which country are you in?

Currently using:
Message 7 of 12

Classicus
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Saudi Arabia

Message 8 of 12

MI5
  • 143188 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27460 Solutions

@Classicus 

OK then, yes, in that case it is £2.00 /min to receive calls unfortunately.

Is it not cheaper to use a local sim or use an app such as WhatsApp to call and text on?

Saudi.JPG

Currently using:
Message 9 of 12

Classicus
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

MI5:  Thank you for confirming the cost.

Yes, I use a local sim card when I am over here.  But for the last 3 months or so, receiving sms messages from the UK in particular has been a real problem - either received very,very late or not received at all.   I need that for work (and for logging into online banking). A friend suggested O2 PAYG sims.

If I can keep the mobile number and receive sms messages while topping up every 3 or 6 months, then that would be a suitable arrangement for me.  I understand now from what you said (Message 5) that this is possible.  That really answers my question.  Thank you very much.

Message 10 of 12