cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will O2 replace a lost Pay as You Go SIM?

NK-001
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This is a hypothetical scenario that I want to protect myself from. I realise that WhatsApp and many other apps send verification via SMS before allowing you to restore backups to your account. If my device was stolen I would need a replacement SIM with the same phone number to get my OTP codes. A person's phone number is precious. I'm trying to proactively find a way to protect it.

Does O2 look after pay as you go customers in this way if they lose their SIM?

I ask because I know O2 don't support pay as you go customers as well as pay monthly customers.

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7819 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 1644 Solutions

Yes. Provided you report it as lost or stolen 

Guide: Lost or Stolen O2 Device? - How to Report it 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Enlli
  • 7819 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 1644 Solutions

Yes. Provided you report it as lost or stolen 

Guide: Lost or Stolen O2 Device? - How to Report it 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 5

NK-001
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I called O2 and they send a text with a code via SMS to prove you are the account holder. But this wouldn't work if your phone was lost or stolen.

As a lay as you go customer how can I prove to O2 I am the owner of the phone number in the event it is stolen?

Message 3 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149016 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28463 Solutions

@NK-001 

The problem is that you spoke to a complete berk in customer services.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 5

Enlli
  • 7819 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 1644 Solutions

Go into MyO2 and in your contact details give a number that is different to your mobile number (I use my wifes) You will then get a choice of numbers as where they arw are to send the code.

Message 5 of 5