cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I top up by an arbitrary amount?

dabl8
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Let's say I have £9.80 credit. It would suit me to top up by just 20p and get a £10 bundle.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10123 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2995 Solutions

@dabl8

Because it costs more than 20p to process a 20p top up.

And since day one of PAYG it has been a minimum of £5 top ups(this is no longer the case) so no chance of it changing anytime soon, if at all.

If they where to allow this I would expect them to pass on the costs to you the customer.

edited to add (this is no longer the case)

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144080 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@dabl8 

£10 is the minimum set by O2 I'm afraid.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 6

dabl8
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I get very little for my £9.80 if I use it without a bundle. If I would  switch network I forfeit the balance. That's £10 down the drain unless I go through the hassle of keeping the SIM and setting up a new number on the other network.

Other networks: 3 lets me buy a daily bundle for 30p. 1Pmobile is true PAYG where I would be charged per MB/ per minute/ per SMS.

IT says here: https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/extra-charges-guide: £3 per MB. Max £1 per day. What does that mean?

Message 4 of 6

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10123 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2995 Solutions

@dabl8

Three no longer offers the 30p daily bundles its now charged at 10p per minute, 10p/SMS and 5p MB.

New Three price plans: http://www.three.co.uk/cs/Satellite?blobkey=id&blobnocache=false&blobwhere=1401117147714&blobheader=...

They used to offer a daily internet bundle for 50p per day which gave you 120Mb of data

1p Mobile is an interesting proposition as its is a pure Old Fashioned PAYG service running on top of BT's network, and like most MVNO's they offer (sometimes) better and more innovative services.

I think £3/mb and max £1 a day is legalese as they have to show the cost per Mb.

To be honest if you have a esim capable handsets the likes esim.net offer better value on a pay monthly / non credit check option.

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 5 of 6

dabl8
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Funny it's not showing up in the PDF but I can see that addon in My3; and now that I see it again it's gone up to 50p for 120MB

Message 6 of 6