cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I chose Pay As You Go or SIM only contract?

Jan5
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, 

I wanted to join the network and I was thinking to choose a SIM only contract for £10 which gives unlimited minutes and 5GB of data, but then I noticed that you have an even better offer for £10 in the Pay As You Go section: unlimited minutes and 6GB of data.

What to choose if they look the same? In the past contracts offers looked usually more attractive, but looks like no any more? Do you know what are still advantages to go for a contract in this situation?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Jan5 

It's entirely personal choice but you can't get wifi calling on PAYG, so if that's important to you, go with a monthly contract.

Other compatibility issues include no support for Apple watch on PAYG and no visual voicemail ability.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
@Jan5

Totally upto you. I agree its a bit odd

Pay Monthly is about convenience and you need to pass a credit check, and you get the perks on the 18mth option.

Pay As You Go is being pushed at the moment as its Christmas but you have to remember to top up, and add extra credit to make non-inclusive calls, also calls are more expensive out side of your allowance.
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 10

liggerz87
Level 20: Radiant
  • 1279 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 15 Solutions
Also it's worth checking your signal were you are before going down the pay monthly route
Message 4 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Also, @Jan5  if you travel abroad outside of the UK, there are some countries which are NOT supported on PAYG.

I've been on both and would always recommend Sim Only.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 10

Jan5
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you for all the repies:)

Message 6 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

No problem @Jan5 . Enjoy, whatever tariff you choose.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

You're welcome @Jan5 thumbsup

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

Jan5
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

At the end I found that there was a better offer for O2 network on another company website! Not on O2 website, but totally external website. I checked many times and asked O2 chat if this is legitimate and they confirmed that yes. They said: other companies are able to negotiate better deals because they bring many customers. The offer was 10GB for £8. There is no Disney network added as it is on O2 website deal, but I do not need the next streaming service...

I do not want to disclose the name, because I am not working there and not sure if this is a good custom on the forum. 

Once you click the link on the offer over there I was transformed to O2 website where you provide data and finalize the deal. 

I received my O2 SIM card already the next day even if it was Saturday, so great O2 speed and service.

Up to now all my life I always went to the source, to the manufacturer to cut the middle-man to get the better deal, but looks like I could be mistaken sometimes and it is not like that anymore.

cheers

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes, the U-Switch deal is known to us and a good offer.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 10