Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade pay as you go phone and sim

Peppermint
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I'm in the United States. I would like to upgrade my very old phone with standard sim card. How can I upgrade? How can I use my old number? Will they deliver it in my US address? If I authorise a friend to pick up for me what do we need? Please advice. Many thanks!
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Peppermint you will need to ensure you buy a GSM phone and your SIM will work ok providing the phone can be unlocked from the network. CDMA phones won't work with an O2 SIM card though.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Hi @Peppermint

Easiest way to upgrade is through your MyO2. 

You will get a new SIM with the phone which you can use to perform a SIM swop to retain your number https://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/ 

Your problem will be delivery or collection. They won't post to USA so you'll need a UK address or if delivered to store, your nominated friend will need your ID to collect it.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Best option is to call customer service. They sum only deliver however to the UK address on file. You need the Classic 3.2.1.sim if you are in the US unless you want to keep the same number and tariff  Use the online store to transfer both  

https://swapmysim.o2.co.uk

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Message 3 of 8

Peppermint
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you! How about if I buy a phone here in the US? Will my standard sim card will still work?
Message 4 of 8

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

MI5
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Peppermint you will need to ensure you buy a GSM phone and your SIM will work ok providing the phone can be unlocked from the network. CDMA phones won't work with an O2 SIM card though.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

Peppermint
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
You are awesome! Thanks for all the info.
Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

You're welcome @Peppermint

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8