Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking from O2

Piran
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

A little over a month ago I purchased a Sony Experia from somebody who had owned it since new some 12 months or so ago, and I want to use a different network sim in it. I have followed instructions to set up a My O2 account using a PAYG card and follow the unlock link. So far I have tried this 5 times and each time received an automayed email as follows.....

Hi,

Your unlatching request has been completed. Unlatching instructions :

The code you require for IMEI No - xxxxxxxxxxxx is as follows:-

xxxxxxxx

For Unlatching Sony Ericsson Devices;

- Power on device with a non O2 UK SIM card
- The device shows: "SIM network unlock PIN"
- Enter the unlock code NCK for the network lock and press "Unlock"
- Device will pop up a message "Network unlock successful"

Thank you,

O2 Customer Service

I have also spoken with Customer Services 3 times and each time they have told me 'we will escalate your query to our back office' but again I receive automated emails with a whole line of X's.

Has anybody else experienced this problem and if so how did they overcome it? I have to say I'm glad I want to use a different network because so far Customer Service and experience have been sadly disappointing from O2!!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You need to put the code in after you insert the Sky sim. It should ask you then for the code, you then insert the code.

Message 11 of 18

Piran
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I seem to have reached a dead end with this. Several calls and a couple of unlock codes from O2 which didn't work later, my phone is now hardlocked (as confirmed on the service menu ie X and 0) rendering it useless to me.

Any thoughts or recommendations as to where I go from here? The obvious is to sell it as permanently locked to O2 and buy another but before I do that is there anything more O2 can do to try and rectify this? I can't help but feel that after 6 weeks of trying to get the codes only for them to not work, O2 have some responsibility for the phone now being hardlocked!

Message 12 of 18

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If O2 have failed to provide you the correct code, they should be replacing the phone for you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 18

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Sorry to hear it hasn't worked. 😞 I'm checking on my end too what we can do to further help you.

Message 14 of 18

Piran
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I thought I'd post an update in case anybody has been experiencing the same problems as me with unlocking.

So after the last code given to me didn't work it took me over the 5 attempts allowed by the phone so it became hardlocked. I took the decision to send the phone to Sony to have the counter reset fully expecting to receive a bill for this. A week after sending the phone to them it has come back with the counter reset and a full update and service.....but no bill! Great service Sony, thank you! I would just add that because the phone is currently locked to O2, they were unable to do a factory unlock even though it's out of contract.

So now I start the process all over again of getting the unlock codes but I thought I'd share that it us possible to have the counter rest and seemingly free of charge!

Message 15 of 18

Piran
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Further update again! Just discovered the phone has been unlocked by Sony so happy days!!!

Message 16 of 18

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It definitely shows the advantages of dealing directly with the manufacturers. Well done Sony and pleased for you @Piran smiling

Message 17 of 18

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Thanks for the update @Piran  and glad to hear it's finally sorted for you. slight_smile

Message 18 of 18