Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to top up O2 sim in a call pendant

RayC
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am unable to check the balance and if necessary top up the sim in my mothers emergency call pendant - I check the balance once a month and this has not been a problem for a few years until today ......  O2 website stated a code has been sent to the sim number, problem is I have no way of retrieving this code because the sim is not in a phone but in a pendant, which has no screen, so I am unable to log in to O2 to check balance and if necessary top up - How can I check/top this up ?

The sim does not come out, the unit is screwed shut with miniature screws, so I could not practically take out sim and put in a phone to top up.  Help required please !

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3006 Solutions

@RayC 

This is all down to Strong Customer Authentication, which is means every so often you will be prompted to enter a code, this is done to secure the account... 

The best thing to do is to call customer services on 0344 809 0202 tomorrow morning, and see if they can set anything on the account (I wouldnt hold your breath). 

Telecoms companies are not the only ones doing this nowadays, but Banks, and other financial companies..

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144182 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@RayC 

We’re just customers like you but it sounds like you’ll need someone to access your account which can’t be done from here. If you message O2 on Facebook (https://o2uk.co/O2CFB) , Twitter (https://o2uk.co/O2CTW) or Instagram (https://o2uk.co/O2CIG) , they should be able to help you with this

Thanks

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3006 Solutions

@RayC 

This is all down to Strong Customer Authentication, which is means every so often you will be prompted to enter a code, this is done to secure the account... 

The best thing to do is to call customer services on 0344 809 0202 tomorrow morning, and see if they can set anything on the account (I wouldnt hold your breath). 

Telecoms companies are not the only ones doing this nowadays, but Banks, and other financial companies..

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144182 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

What a well thought out system it is too...... Not.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 5

RayC
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ok, so, O2 did not respond to my facebook message - so I called them on the number you kindly provided This is what I was told - "Due to security the only way to check the balance was to remove the sim from the emergency pendant (not easy, very small screws and lots of parts to get it apart) and put it in a phone, then sign in on-line by reading the code on the phone and entering it on-line when prompted " - I have checked this once a month for over 3 years now without issue, and topped up if necessary (as the emergency pendant has a non urgent call button to one number only - it does use credit) , even if I got the sim out I would then need to try to put it back in the pendant without breaking anything and repeat this each month - O2 did say they could give me a top-up tel number but the only way to get the balance is on line - using the code. They also said there is no facility for me to opt to take off the security code, or have it sent to my phone instead of the emergency pendant. Not sure where I can go from here 😕    O2 really thought about this one didn't they?  They have a system in place that prevents customers giving them money and puts lives at risk!

Message 5 of 5