Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracker use with O2 SIM

Rob_modelflyer
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have obtained a tracker for use with model aircraft (in case the aircraft is lost), which came with an O2 sim card. The instructions for the tracker indicate that text messages from O2 (e.g. alerts regarding low remaining credit or impending disconnection of service) can be forwarded to my mobile phone, since they cannot be accessed through the tracker itself. However this requires that I provide the tracker with the telephone number from which such a text message may be sent otherwise the tracker will reject any such call. I would be grateful if anyone can provide information that will help with this, please.

I can similarly request that the tracker obtain details of the remaining credit on my account for the sim card. The text message obtained from O2 with the information will then be forwarded to my mobile as above. The instructions for the tracker again require that I provide the tracker with the telephone number to call in order to obtain a text message in response with the details of the remaining credit. The instruction also indicates that a code should be provided to the tracker which will be sent to O2 in order to initiate the required text message. I can find no information about this on the O2 website so, again, I would be very grateful if anyone can provide any information about this, thank you.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@ste064 wrote:

Call forwarding only works to voicemail on pay & go on o2.

Exactly as I have always known with once working for O2. These claims by various people stating call forwarding works on payandgo are nonsense. Forwarding to voicemail (901) is the basic standard for any network.

Totally useless when used in trackers, security cameras etc.

@

Message 11 of 13

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Rob_modelflyer wrote:

I have attempted to test this function by using the mobile number of a family member instead of the number for O2 that I need to provide. I had them send a text message that I hoped would be forwarded but so far this has been unsuccessful. I have yet to try using the mobile number in international format i.e. with the country code included, which omission may be the cause of this function to be unsuccessful so far.

This cannot be done no matter the advice you have been given.

Message 12 of 13

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Rob_modelflyer wrote:

The SIM provided with the tracker is the O2 classic pay as you go SIM on the respective tariff for this SIM type. I understand that this is the type of SIM always provided with the tracker although the supplier indicated that a different type of SIM could be used if required.

You need the Classic sim, don't put any other O2 sim in the tracker or you will be topping up and getting no benefit from the allowances. The first top up with a big bundle sim will be taken to pay for allowances leaving the balance at zero thus needing you to top up £10 after 6 months as you then need credit added to send a text.

Message 13 of 13