Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Topping up overseas

AndyMyles
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So, in Mexico and trying to sort out some critical travel insurance. Forgot to load international bundle before leaving, so eye-watering 2 pounds per minute. Keep trying to install bundle, keep getting "call us" response. I can't! I've burned 100 quid of top up already and now something is blocking further top ups.

Why would you not honour the bundle request when it must have been obvious from my dumpster fire credit burn what was going on and why I needed it.

Luckily I was able to resolve the hospital bill using email, but come on, O2, there's security and there's "obvious what this guy is desperately needing". Why did this happen?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93887 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7017 Solutions

We’re just customers like you but it sounds like you’ll need someone to access your account which can’t be done from here. If you message O2 using the links below, they should be able to help you with this

Message 2 of 10

MI5
  • 148695 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions

@AndyMyles 

There is no international bundle for Mexico on PAYG and PAYG carries a £30 a day top up limit.

Use Skype or Whatsapp where possible to make cheaper calls or get a local sim.

https://www.o2.co.uk/international/using-your-phone-abroad

Guide: A Guide to Skype 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 3 of 10

AndyMyles
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for quick reply! Still in Mexico with just over 1 pound in credit so no chance I can call them. Luckily able to come back today. Myo2 just useless bots - can't find real person.

I just find it obtuse to block an essential bundle request when there was still plenty credit left. If someone is asking for 3 pounds to be taken from their credit to get a bundle like that then it's hardly high fraud.

Message 4 of 10

AndyMyles
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

That's interesting. I'm sure the O2 website lists Mexico for the INTBOLTON bundle - hence my repeated attempts at requesting the bundle.

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/the-international-bolt-on

Message 5 of 10

AndyMyles
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I just kept getting "can't add, call us on 202" (I can't! It's not free!) reply texts

Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 148695 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions

@AndyMyles wrote:

That's interesting. I'm sure the O2 website lists Mexico for the INTBOLTON bundle - hence my repeated attempts at requesting the bundle.

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/the-international-bolt-on

@AndyMyles 

That's to call from the UK, not when roaming.

PAYG customer service is 4445, not 202, but probably won't work from Mexico.

The free to call number is +44 7860 980 202

All contact methods here Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 7 of 10

AndyMyles
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I just noticed that page gives 2 different ways to request the bundle. Did I use the wrong one (23336 instead of 2020)? If so, o2 should maybe delete it.

I guess I'm venting a bit because refusal to load the bundle came close to costing me $8000 through inability to have a long enough conversation with my insurer. But point is: I needed it, had credit, followed 23336 instructions and got nowhere for no good reason I can see.

Message 8 of 10

AndyMyles
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, MI5! Reply texts definitely said 202. I shall take this as a lesson to load the bundle before leaving, but I still think it's a bit unnecessary to have refused it regardless of what country I was in when I sent the text. If anything, it's more likely very essential when being requested from overseas!

Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 148695 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28438 Solutions

@AndyMyles 

As I said above, bundle is useless outside of UK.

It would not have helped you at all, even if you had got it.

Message 10 of 10