Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thai network in Vientiane, Laos

Projectionist
Level 12: Nimble
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

As I'm (currently) on PAYG, I understand that my SIM will not register on a Lao network (contract SIMs do...)

Since I'll only be there for a few days, as part of a trip to Thailand (where PAYG does work), and I will be staying in the capital, Vientiane, which is very close to Thailand (the Mekong river is the border, and the hostel is close to that), my question is whether anyone here has experience of using a Thai network in Vientiane.

I did get away with this with Virgin some years back, when they didn't serve Laos at all.

If not, this may well be the time to change to contract ? Crazy

I have no need for data

Using Pixel 4 ( O2 + 1pMobile) , Samsung E1182 ( geosim + dtac)
Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
  • 93235 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

Make sure your phone is unlocked before you go then if necessay, you can get a local sim. The original question can't be answered by members because this hasn't been tried and tested by any of us.

It's a matter of trying it yourself and please update the thread  after.

Have a great trip rainbow

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23077 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions
The expert here on all things Thai is @jonsie. Hopefully he can answer your query.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 13

Projectionist
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions
Have changed to contract, so phone should now register on networks in both countries, however.....the O2 Travel Bolt-on (£4.99/day) is only available in Thailand, so the original question remains 🇹🇭🇱🇦😬, I guess
Message 3 of 13

jonsie
  • 93235 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

Make sure your phone is unlocked before you go then if necessay, you can get a local sim. The original question can't be answered by members because this hasn't been tried and tested by any of us.

It's a matter of trying it yourself and please update the thread  after.

Have a great trip rainbow

Message 4 of 13

Projectionist
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

Good advice - I usually use a dtac sim in another (small, old) phone as a data hotspot - it works out at 99 Baht a week Bouncy

On this trip, as I'm keen not to accidentally use Lao data on O2 (about £7 a Meg), I'll probably stick with that..

I will however check the cross-border roaming situation as a matter of interest

Message 5 of 13

Projectionist
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

Research trip commences in 2 days....

At least none of the  (six) flights are on a 737 Max Fantastic

Now all I need is a pub to "Stumble Inn" to.. beers

Message 6 of 13

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

How exciting @ProjectionistBouncy

I hope it all goes well, and drop back in when you can to let us know how you are! I'm always partial to some travelling photos as well, so if you have any good ones our off-topic section is always open - we even have a thread dedicated to members' best photos!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 7 of 13

Projectionist
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions
Thai roaming does work (near river, which is border) - but since a Lao sim is around £1-ish it's pointless.
Message 8 of 13

jonsie
  • 93235 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

@Projectionist wrote:
Thai roaming does work (near river, which is border) - but since a Lao sim is around £1-ish it's pointless.

Thanks for the update and it's handy to know. But as you say, cost wise for a local sim is amazingly low which is why I would always go for a local sim.

Message 9 of 13

Projectionist
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

Final post on this !

As research goes, I guess that not much was learnt, but I did witness a bank robbery in Laos, (opposite hotel - guy was chased and caught), and a fist fight at Bangkok's main railway station on election day...all very entertaining rofl

Note to self : Elections in Thailand are preceded by 24 hr periods of no alchohol sales ( 7-Elevens seems very busy just before beers )

Message 10 of 13